Ac help and What is this part?

-

1973dartswinger

Reaction score
Hey,
In the process of redoing everything under the dash and I’m looking to get the parts I need but want to check with some things. I’ve searched extensively and I will post my findings to cross check. The car is a 1973 dart swinger. Original slant six car with a built 408 stroker going into it. Factory ac car. My evaporator has one of the connections broke off so I’ll definitely need to buy a new one. From what I gather the later 73 models have the connections side by side instead of top and bottom. The only one I can find new is from eBay. does anyone have any experience with these or know of a better option? Second is the heater core, i have read that the new aftermarket ones don’t necessarily fit right. Which leaves me to my original one. The car has been sitting for the better part of 15 years, and its original. So I’m not really comfortable running it and hoping for the best as I don’t want to do this again, from real life experiences is the after market ones really that bad or can it be fine. Or should I take the original one to get re cored and tested and use that? Third. Other than these two main components and changing all the gaskets seals and insulation , would any other parts be recommended to be changed while I’m at it?
Last question for now, is on the firewall side of things what is this grommet with two vaccume lines attached and where could I find a new once. I’ve been searching high and low and can’t figure it out haha.
Thanks a lot!

IMG_7059.png

I have a 1972 Demon with factory AC with the same grommet. One vacuum line goes to the vacuum canister to supply vacuum to the interior controls, and the other goes to the heater control water valve. I also wanted to replace my heater core. I bought a new one that was close, but just didn't fit. I put the original one back in. Did you get the HVAC box rebuild kit from Detroit Muscle? It worked awesome on mine.

If you're running the factory V2 compressor, you'll want to do the oil level check in the FSM and maybe replace the shaft seal if there's a lot of miles on it. You'll need some AC 150 mineral oil or better yet Ester Oil, as it's compatible with residual R12 mineral oil AND 134a.

X2 on the reply above - you need the vacuum connection and the heater valve, which may be hard to find.

After an exhaustive search, I found a heater control valve that has the 1/2" heater hose connections on my '72. It doesn't look like the original, but was the direct replacement back in the day. It's a Stant H136, or Everco H1947.

If you're running the factory V2 compressor, you'll want to do the oil level check in the FSM and maybe replace the shaft seal if there's a lot of miles on it. You'll need some AC 150 mineral oil or better yet Ester Oil, as it's compatible with residual R12 mineral oil AND 134a.

X2 on the reply above - you need the vacuum connection and the heater valve, which may be hard to find.
Plan on runnin a sanden pump. Parts sure are hard I wish someone just sold everything in one place to get new and rebuild it yourself

After an exhaustive search, I found a heater control valve that has the 1/2" heater hose connections on my '72. It doesn't look like the original, but was the direct replacement back in the day. It's a Stant H136, or Everco H1947.
Awesome thanks. I also found this in google. Is this more of a factory one? My cars not factory what so ever just wondering

IMG_7070.png

I have a 1972 Demon with factory AC with the same grommet. One vacuum line goes to the vacuum canister to supply vacuum to the interior controls, and the other goes to the heater control water valve. I also wanted to replace my heater core. I bought a new one that was close, but just didn't fit. I put the original one back in. Did you get the HVAC box rebuild kit from Detroit Muscle? It worked awesome on mine.
Yea mine seems like the vaccume lines are attached to the grommet all one piece. Not sure if I’m misaken on this or not and it’s just so covered in crud and paint that I’m looking it it wrong. So I wasn’t sure if I need to find this grommet with the lines attached or if I can just get any grommet to fill the hole and run new lines through some holes I drill out. I plan ordering the Detroit muscle kit I have a whole cart of stuff I need from them! I’m thinking from everything I read I’m gunna see how much to get my old heater core flushed and re cores and make a choice from there

You should be able to run new vacuum lines through any grommet. For the heater valve, I have 1/2" inlet hose. If you have 5/8", you can find many options. In the attached picture, my factory valve looks like the upper drawing and the new one looks like the lower one. Just be aware that this is for 1/2" hose. A '73 might be different. The heater valve picture you posted looks like it's cable operated. If that's the case, the controls are different than my '72.

20240502_085714.jpg

-
Back