400/426 Stroker. Ever heard of one?

-
So what was the original reasoning behind offset grinding a factory crank? Do you have a buddy with a crank grinder? Offset grinding used to be the only way to build Mopar strokers but we stopped doing it roughly 20 years ago because it was more expensive than just buying a new crank. There used to be local guys with crank grinders who knew how to grind cranks to spec as well as do things like offset grinding, but they are all gone now. I haven't seen an offset ground crank in years and we wouldn't even bother to quote a job on one these days.

So what was the original reasoning behind offset grinding a factory crank? Do you have a buddy with a crank grinder? Offset grinding used to be the only way to build Mopar strokers but we stopped doing it roughly 20 years ago because it was more expensive than just buying a new crank. There used to be local guys with crank grinders who knew how to grind cranks to spec as well as do things like offset grinding, but they are all gone now. I haven't seen an offset ground crank in years and we wouldn't even bother to quote a job on one these days.
I can't speak for the OP but in my case... I did it because I have a crank grinder and I had a 383/400 steel crank on hand and I wanted to build something unique for my buddy and I've always hated the stupid 3.375" stroke and I made the stroke to fit the piston and rod selection and I like the rod ratio and I'm hoping it will turn out to run HARD like the first 451 I built and I liked the legacy CID of 426 and I wanted to build something that will actually make some power into the 6300-6500 rpm range and I had various other parts on hand that are complimentary and I'm almost finished. I know I know alot of ANDS. Lol J.Rob

Last edited:
I think it's a good set up, there are a lot of sheep out there! There are "proven combo's" out there, or "easy combos", you don't need to justify your build! Good luck and enjoy!!

Also--I use a crank shop near me in Quebec for my balancing needs and from time to time I get them to grind or in some cases index/offset grind certain cranks (He is so much better than me at it) and for what he charges to offset grind isn't a quarter of the cost of a good new crank. I'm not talking a Bryant or Winberg either. J.Rob

The offset grind was about $300. The new cranks I found were near $1200. I also had the steel crank sitting on the shelf from a ‘68 383 that I ended up selling. Plus, like RAMM mentioned, I wanted to do something different by targeting big(ish) cubes with a small block feel. I regretted stroking my old 340 and missed the rev happy nature of the shorter stroke.

I thought you did an amazing job with that 470 build you shared awhile back. In fact, that build is what inspired me to get the 400 in the first place .

Nothing wrong with the idea if you can get the work done for a reasonable price. We used to offset grind cranks back in the 90's but it hasn't been economical for us for many years.
These days we build a lot of 470 low decks and 505 RB engines. The parts are economical, the engines go together with very little problems, and the engines make great power with the Trick Flow 240 heads.

Finished off the budget build with a set of Speedmaster (a.k.a. Procomp) 1.6 roller rockers. For the the price, they appear to be well worth it. Looking forward to the first few thousand miles to see how these perform and wear.

Quality or JUNK? Installing Speedmaster 1.6 Rocker Arms on a Big Block Mopar

-
Back