Antenna installation on a ‘63 Valiant

-

shortmort37

Reaction score
My V200 wagon did not come originally with a radio. I’ve installed a working one, and there was an antenna delete grommet in the fender. I’ve removed that, but I don’t see where to route the antenna lead. Do I have to drill a hole? Why would there be a fender grommet, but no other plug to remove? I hope I’m missing something- here’s a shot through the hole.

IMG_9956.jpeg

Yes drill in the bump out in the center there. Antenna grommet goes there (small like 1/2”) to seal the cable.
It kinda looks like a pimple on the side of the triangle. Drill inside to outside.

My V200 wagon did not come originally with a radio. I’ve installed a working one, and there was an antenna delete grommet in the fender. I’ve removed that, but I don’t see where to route the antenna lead. Do I have to drill a hole? Why would there be a fender grommet, but no other plug to remove? I hope I’m missing something- here’s a shot through the hole.

View attachment 1716244711
The fender may have been changed at some point with one that had a radio, or, someone drilled a hole to add an antenna and routed the cable some other way. All the early A-bodies I've seen that were radio delete didn't have a hole in the fender for an antenna. Photo of the hole and delete plate? Is the hole nice and clean like a factory cut?

The fender may have been changed at some point with one that had a radio, or, someone drilled a hole to add an antenna and routed the cable some other way. All the early A-bodies I've seen that were radio delete didn't have a hole in the fender for an antenna. Photo of the hole and delete plate? Is the hole nice and clean like a factory cut?
Yes, nice clean cut - I suppose someone could have plugged with their own grommet, but it looked designed for it. Unfortunately the plug disintegrated when I removed it.

My 64 valiant has a plug in the passenger rear quarter.
No radio when I bought it, but antenna and cable in truck.

-
Back