Quiet muffler

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
It seems all mufflers are turbo mufflers. Does anyone make a quiet non-turbo muffler? My Ragtop is a driver and I like it quiet. Two sets now and too loud on hyway.

Try a late model resonator upstream of the muffler

It seems all mufflers are turbo mufflers. Does anyone make a quiet non-turbo muffler? My Ragtop is a driver and I like it quiet. Two sets now and too loud on hyway.

Walker “Quite Flow” or the “Sound FX” mufflers.

This is the following method for suggest for a quite ride without getting crazy.

Headers or manifolds, it doesn’t matter, but afterwards…

Use an “H” or “X” pipe, I like an H because it’s quick and easy.

At the OEM muffler location, use the longest muffler possible.

If possible, I think we a glass pack in the tail pipe area.

The use of a glass pack before the muffler come is also fine. The possible issue with that was f ground clearance because the body of the glass pack is typically 4 inches round. They can be 3-1/2 as well.

The longer the glass pack/muffler, the more sound deadening it is available to keep it quite.

Stand by and I’ll show you what I did to my’79 Magnum recently.
(Though not yet done.)

At Summit and probably Jegs as well, they should both be listing the overall length and the muffler/glass pack body length. Use this to factor in where you can use what’s available.

Last edited:
Did Dual FX-Sound mufflers mid stream. Dual Resonators at the very rear.

Not loud, but nice tone, with a 318.

Screenshot_20240516-153534_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240516-153642_Firefox.jpg

Always like to have the resonators in line like Ma Mopar did.

Screenshot_20240516-154005_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

It seems all mufflers are turbo mufflers.

Actually only a few are turbos. The Dynomax turbo is a true turbo muffler and most others are not.

Read the description in the below custom video for you I just made, so - with hopes - you can get a good idea how what I have sounds.

I forgot to add in….

I reved up the engine from idle to about 1500–ish, then to about 300-ish and then the foot went down and bit into 4500+ rpm and a few WOT blasts.

Inside the car is pretty quiet and it has no sound deadening or carpet.

It’s a Kendog 170 exclusive custom video!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
One aspect is how loud it is in the car while cruising down the road with the windows closed and the other aspect is how loud it is when the windows are down. For me, I want a much quieter muffler while cruising but don't want to take a chance on buying one that is not what I want. I typically have a local exhaust shop do my installations, so it would be the cost of mufflers + installation. I remember back in the 80's putting some sonic turbo's on my 69 Charger and it was wonderfully quiet but did not seem to lack any performance afterward.

@rumblefish360, just so you know the backup lights of your Magnum were "on" when you were driving forward out of your garage.

BTW, thanks for the video.

@rumblefish360, just so you know the backup lights of your Magnum were "on" when you were driving forward out of your garage.

BTW, thanks for the video.

LMAO! THANK YOU!!!

I was notified and I did notice in the video. I had no idea. Better to inform that not. Thanks. I had no idea. I’ve never had this happen to me. I’m not sure where to go with it yet. I have a bit on the table to do first. Starting with the wife’s car and then I’ll get back to the Magnum. Perhaps weeks end? IDK 4 sure.

I currently run stock exhaust manifolds, added an X pipe last install. Last set of mufflers were Walker “Quite Flow” or the “Sound FX” mufflers I can't remember and I'm trying to do a purchase history search with no success yet. I know the 1st set was stainless and 2nd aluminized.
Back in the 80's, same car, Meineke asked if I wanted turbo mufflers and I said no, put the quietest mufflers you have on it. You really only heard it when the 4 barrels were open.
I'm looking at these but need to confirm I didn't already buy them lol. My other set is packed away in storage (In original boxes) :BangHead:
More Information for AP / EASTERN XS1226

Here is an expensive but cool way to get silence and loudness!

When closed and quiet: no resonation, no roar, no noise that bothers you inside. When open: they roar and resonate and cackle and snarl and are pretty obnoxious like most chambered mufflers are. 10 dBA difference across the board when measured at the same speeds and distances.

You didn't say what you were running. Motor sounds nice! What cam are you running. 340 engine?
Tom builds his own mufflers which are faithful reproductions of those used on the short-lived Pontiac Vacuum Operated Exhaust option. I'd never heard of that before seeing Tom's posts. Very cool stuff.
Here's one of Tom's posts. There are a couple more.
Eighteen Year Old VOE Mufflers

-
Back