Spark Plug Removal

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Had my first experience last night taking the last two spark plugs out on the drivers side on a 340 with headers :x . I have no idea what type of headers they are or if all of them are that tight but man oh man what a chore that simple task turned out to be. So I'm looking for any tips,tricks or special tool set ups to make it a little easier. Suggestions anybody or is farting around with them just the way it got to be?? :scratch:
Thanks.

Yes, that is more or less what I did. I just need to find an old wrench I can cut down as mine was a little to long, I ended up using an adjustable on it. I do know there will be no changing those plug when the motor is warm.!

Its been awhile since Ive changed plugs but I dont remember mine being all that bad.

Just curious if you guys with the tti's have a problem with this too, or is there more room available for the plug changes?

Sparky said:
Yes, that is more or less what I did. I just need to find an old wrench I can cut down as mine was a little to long, I ended up using an adjustable on it. I do know there will be no changing those plug when the motor is warm.!

You could buy a "stubby" wrench instead of cutting one... That being said, I cut a 7/16 in half so I could easily work on the innermost header bolt on the Driver's side. The long wrenches kept hitting the firewall and the area was too tight for even a 1/4" drive socket.

Another trick to make it easier to get the sparkplug socket in and out is to remove 1/8" off each end of it on a lathe. You can still use a stubby open end/box end wrench on the hex end of the socket. I could barely get it on the #5 & #7 with my Hedman headers and now it's much easier.

Like most people I cut a combination wrench in half! :laughing:

-
Back