Tr6060 behind a small block?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here put a tr6060 from a Challenger behind a small block? Will the stock bellhousing work (I know the starter is on the passenger side) or will a different bellhousing be needed?
Thanks

The Gen3 hemi and small blocks share the same bellhousing pattern. Does that answer your question? All the other details I don't know, but it should bolt up. You gotta figger out the rest. lol

Only one I know of has a thread on here and swapped the front plate, tail housing and main shaft so he could use an LS (I think) bellhousing. Not really what you are asking.

The PS starter will cause issues, idler hits the starter hard. There is a fix, but it isn’t off the shelf. I have a thread where I asked the question about a TR6060 and 5.7 in an A-Body, I can find it later. It has the fix pictured, guy used an aftermarket starter and an adapter plate to clock it and make it work.

No idea how you will get a clutch to work. I know the offset is different between and LA and G3, and the G3 has an 8 bolt crank. That’s probably going to be the hard part.

The Gen3 hemi and small blocks share the same bellhousing pattern. Does that answer your question? All the other details I don't know, but it should bolt up. You gotta figger out the rest. lol
Yeah the transmission will physically bolt up to the engine, but my biggest question/concern is going to be the flywheel/clutch setup as Dion mentioned.

Dion, I found your thread yesterday about the idler arm interference. Fortunately I wouldn’t have an issue there since I’m running an HDK in my Duster.
Only one I know of has a thread on here and swapped the front plate, tail housing and main shaft so he could use an LS (I think) bellhousing. Not really what you are asking.

The PS starter will cause issues, idler hits the starter hard. There is a fix, but it isn’t off the shelf. I have a thread where I asked the question about a TR6060 and 5.7 in an A-Body, I can find it later. It has the fix pictured, guy used an aftermarket starter and an adapter plate to clock it and make it work.

No idea how you will get a clutch to work. I know the offset is different between and LA and G3, and the G3 has an 8 bolt crank. That’s probably going to be the hard part.

I put a wanted add on a Challenger parts page on fb for an old/junk clutch and pressure plate setup. If I can get my hand on one, we’ll see how close it comes to bolting onto a sb flywheel.

I put a wanted add on a Challenger parts page on fb for an old/junk clutch and pressure plate setup. If I can get my hand on one, we’ll see how close it comes to bolting onto a sb flywheel.

First thing I would look at is the crank offset. I know it has been talked about and that they are different, but I don't remember which one goes which way.

Based on the picture of the G3 flywheel, I would have serious doubt that you can get the factory dual disk clutch to bolt on. But I have been wrong before.

LFW284-1-US.jpg

First thing I would look at is the crank offset. I know it has been talked about and that they are different, but I don't remember which one goes which way.

Based on the picture of the G3 flywheel, I would have serious doubt that you can get the factory dual disk clutch to bolt on. But I have been wrong before.

View attachment 1716250923Yeah I suspect you are right. Also, looks like the pressure plate bolt circle is bigger than what would be able to be made to work on the sb flywheel. I wonder either the g3 flywheel or the sb crank could be welded up and redrilled.

Here is the thread I was thinking of.

A tranny story (t56)

After reading through it again, unless you can get the TR6060 for cheap or you can figure out how to make the clutch work, feels like a non-starter. In the end it was just as much to buy a T56 Magnum new as to buy a used TR6060 and parts to convert it. Even just the input and mainplate so an LS/SBM bell could be used.

I know you weren't talking about converting one, it's just one of the directions my mind went and the thread above fit into. Really the easiest path (but not cheapest) is to convert the front to an LS style. Then the clutch stops being an issue.

Found it.

"Old-school LA-engine automatic transmissions and manual-trans bellhousings bolt up (just leave out the top bolt), but there's a slight misalignment because the LA crank's "stick-out" relative to the rear block bellhousing face is about 0.090-inch longer compared to the Gen III Hemi. The new Hemi has an eight-bolt crank flange, compared to six on production LA motors and cranks."

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/will-gen-iii-hemi-fit-project-measured/

Based on this, if you swapped in an 8 bolt crank (or welded and redrilled it) and spaced the trans back 0.090", it might work.

If you are serious about it, and even better already have a TR6060, I would bolt it up without any spacers and see what it would take to get an aftermarket clutch to work. Unless you get the one year only 2011 TR6060, it should be a 26 spline input. Maybe just bolt the thing together with a SB flywheel and clutch and see where everything lands.

If you do bolt it up with a SB flywheel, don't forget to look at the starter. Looks like the Challenger flywheel is 131T, so the bellhousing might not put the start in the right location.

Even though the PS starter won't crash with the idler for you, I wonder if it will crash with the oil filter. I know the GC had a PS starter and oil filter, but sure feels like it could be a big issue.

Based on this mockup picture from my idler issue thread, I don't think an oil filter will fit. Not sure a remote filter would either, but maybe with 90 degree fittings?

20220710_183824-jpg.jpg

Sounds more and more like it’d probably be better just to go with a t-56 magnum instead of the tr6060, unless I’d wait to swap the tr6060 until I do a G3 swap, then it’d Nville be a bolt in deal.

Sounds more and more like it’d probably be better just to go with a t-56 magnum instead of the tr6060, unless I’d wait to swap the tr6060 until I do a G3 swap, then it’d Nville be a bolt in deal.

If you don't plan to keep the LA, seems like a bunch of work for a temporary solution. If you plan to do a G3 swap with a TR6060, I would do them both at the same time.

That said, a T56 Magnum could be swapped now with the LA and the only part that would have to change later would be the flywheel if you did a G3 swap. That seems much more reasonable.

I guess converting the front to an LS based TR6060 would work as well. Still more work than just swapping a Mopar TR6060 in with the G3 though.

-
Back