'69 Valiant 2DR Project

-
Forgot to loop the trans line, sprayed everything down with trans fluid, so that’s fun. Chased down one small oil leak and a couple fuel leaks. All is good now. 75psi oil pressure so looking good on that front too.
lol. I've pulled that one before. You won't do it again.

In other news, I'm an idiot. I found the water pump gasket on my bench. I guess that explains the leaking water pump...

Water pump gasket is on and the leak is fixed. I don’t think #5 is firing, or maybe it’s only firing sometimes. The header is gold on all other runners except 5 and the engine sounds like it’s galloping a little. I’ll try and get a video of it.

The runout on the crank pulley is crazy, I’ll reinstall it tomorrow and see if I can get it better.

4hr2oM6.jpg

The plug on the left is out of #5, right is #7. If you look at the headers you can definitely see a lack of color on the #5 runner. The plug looked brand new, opposed to its neighbors that were sooty from the rich tune. I’ll double check spark on #5. I have to think of a way to check the fuel injector for that cylinder.

View attachment 1716254197

The plug on the left is out of #5, right is #7. If you look at the headers you can definitely see a lack of color on the #5 runner. The plug looked brand new, opposed to its neighbors that were sooty from the rich tune. I’ll double check spark on #5. I have to think of a way to check the fuel injector for that cylinder.
Does the Holley have a test mode to test injectors and coils? Something to allow you to cycle them individually high/low to confirm your wiring is good before you dig in too much further?

Does the Holley have a test mode to test injectors and coils? Something to allow you to cycle them individually high/low to confirm your wiring is good before you dig in too much further?
Yes it does have output testing, I’m going to check spark on #5. I think I can test injectors too but I’ll have to spray it into a bucket or something.

Yes it does have output testing, I’m going to check spark on #5. I think I can test injectors too but I’ll have to spray it into a bucket or something.
Just make sure the fuel pump is turned off. Disconnect it, pull the fuse/relay or whatever it takes and then run your injector test. That’s how I did it with my Megasquirt. You should be able to hear the injectors click when they go high. If they don’t then you may have a short somewhere.

Just make sure the fuel pump is turned off. Disconnect it, pull the fuse/relay or whatever it takes and then run your injector test. That’s how I did it with my Megasquirt. You should be able to hear the injectors click when they go high. If they don’t then you may have a short somewhere.
It’s a valid test but you should also test them for flow. They can click and not flow fuel. Running pressure to em and cycling them in to a bucket is a good idea.

Spark on 5 looks fine. I’m going to order one of those cheap injector pulse boxes and try that next.

now it seems to be fuel related why not just swap injector 5 with another that you know works? if 5 still won't fire it's the wiring not the injector and no money spent.
neil.

I really hope it’s not the wiring, it’s the only portion of the loom I didn’t mess with! lol

Good idea, I’ll swap injectors. I have one of those thermal thermometers so I’ll grab a reading and see if that tells me anything. I have another set of bigger injectors showing up tomorrow too so I can swap if need be.

-
Back