7875 + 5.9 + E85 + Megasquirt

-
I took the car to the track last week and have a new challenge. I made three runs total, all shitty. First two were 7.70s at about 95mph and slow short times. I pegged the shift light the entire run and the log showed I was hovering around 6300 rpm the whole pass. This was at about 12 lbs psi. So on the last pass I turned off boost control and just ran off wastegate spring which was around 7 lbs psi. I went slightly faster, 7.60 but dropped about 1mph and only hit 6000rpm. I’m either blowing thru the converter or the trans is slipping. I changed fluid and filter, adjusted the bands and it’s about the same on the street just running off the waste gate. Next step is to probably drop the trans and rebuild and send off the converter or get a new one.

That sucks! How did the fluid look? If it’s happening in every gear I would think the rear clutches might be toast. I’d be interested to hear if it’s the converter as I don’t really know the symptoms of that type of failure…
What have you done to build the trans, and what valve body?

Any improvements in blowby?

That sucks! How did the fluid look? If it’s happening in every gear I would think the rear clutches might be toast. I’d be interested to hear if it’s the converter as I don’t really know the symptoms of that type of failure…
What have you done to build the trans, and what valve body?

Any improvements in blowby?
The fluid looked great, smelled fine. It was practically brand new anyway.
The pan had a little bit of junk in it but nothing crazy. It still shifts firm going through the gears but IDK. If I’m going to pull it to service the converter I think I might as well pull it apart and inspect everything and replace clutches, etc. I bought it already built by somebody else. It has a RMVB in it. An old TCI I think and its been a great trans so far.
IMG_9739.jpeg
IMG_9743.jpeg
IMG_9752.jpeg

I’m with 85glht. When you take power out and pick up .3 and only lose 1mph that screams converter is too loose. I’d rather it be too tight and just try to smack it in the *** on the 2step to overcome it trying to drag the motor down that way you’ll have good slip numbers in high gear.

-
Back