Brake line help!!!!!

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
OK I went out to drop the rear out from under my duster. everything is cool up untill the point when i go to cut the rubber brake line loose from the steel line so i can drop it. The fitting is on somet kinda tight and i have just about rounded of the flare nut fitting any suggestions on getting this off? If i end up screwing up the fitting can i salvage the brake line by re flaring the line?? If i can reflare it who would have a replacement line?? What a pain in the Axx.

Are you talking about the line that goes all the way to the front? The fittings are all standard on the hardlines, and most parts stores carry the lines in different lengths with the end already on them. If you didn't destroy the line yet, disconnect the lines from the other end of the rubber hose and leave it connected to the car. If you screw up the lines that go across the rearend, they're easier to change than the one that goes to the front.

yes the one that goes to the front, I havent destroyed it yet just about rounded the nut off though. The rubber hose goes down to a proportioning valve mounted on the axel housing I would spin the hose off there but the rubber hose twist to much and wont spin off I will see if I can drop the valve if not it will have to come lose from the frame connector at the steel line.

The block that the rubber hose is connected to on the rearend can come off so just remove the hard lines that go out to the wheels. That little vent that goes thru the block is actually a bolt so the block will stay on the rubber hose.

all ready done and got the rear out, off to the hot tank in the morning and then ready for paint and install the new 489 pumpkin.

sorry to jump in but how do u know what the pumkin is?i mean how do u know what kind it is.my dad has one in hi sduster now is a stock 72 340-4-speed car now he has a 440 and he doesnt want to use it in his car do to the power that hes going for so hes going to give it to me how can i tell what size case it is?Thanks mike

If its out of the car already just look along the gear and it will be stamped on the ring gear if its not out and the rear has never been out look along the bolts on the carrier and there will be a little tag with the gear ratio stamped on it. If thats not there and the pumpkin is still in the car then you can jack it up and turn the wheels and count the rvolutions to get the gear ratio ask brett about that one he can give you the specificson that method

i know what the gear size is he has 4.56's and moser in it already i dont know what u guys are talking about when u say i hav two pumkins lyin around a 489...and so on what that mean and how do i tell!

is there a way just to look under the car and tell cuz its still in the car?i read a little of that article and it just made it harder!LOL sorry!Whats the strongest one u can get?

yes look under the rear at on the driver side near where the uJiont bolts to the center section. There will be some numbers look at the last 3 it will either be 741, 742 or 489 thsoe are the 3 differant types of center sections for the 8 3/4 rear. 741 is the low HP version and not prefered for hot rodding either of the other 2 are good. 489 has the largest shaft and 742 has the largest bearing there is a great debate which is better but for you either will handle all you 318 can throw at it.

so you going to look for a new carrier? The 741 will be fine with a stock 318 from what I have read but you go hopping it up and sticking crazy gear in it and its going to look like Bretts.

I have a 741 under my car. Unless your planning on a lot of racing with big slicks and 500 horse power I wouldnt worry about it.

when my dad was my age he said that they did some welding to fix things down there in that area of the car like the welded the yoke or somthing like that!i dont know they said they did it almost evry other weekend!LOL

Chad, just cut the line and reflare it, otherwise you will need a new line. That rubber hose can be found at any parts store. I just bought one.

everything I have read recomends not welding anything together, I wouldnt recomend it If you have a posi and it hooks up dont worry about it. I upgraded to a 489 because I had an open 741 and it was cheaper to but a 489 posi unit already set up with 3.91 gear than it was to put a aburn and new ring an pinion gear. if you have a posi unit dont worry about it spend you money on something else.

THEWHITEZOMBIE said:
when my dad was my age he said that they did some welding to fix things down there in that area of the car like the welded the yoke or somthing like that!i dont know they said they did it almost evry other weekend!LOL

Probably welded the spider gears to lock the rearend, not something you'd want to do. Alot of dirt track guys here do that in the "bomber" classes since they usually don't expect the car to last the night :lol:

hey brett thats what i was going to do but a pair of Vise Grips and a alot of wd40 did the trick you know Red Neck Style.

I think we all are on this site. Just some of us admit it and others area in denial. Red Neck Denial :lol:

-
Back