I Chose the 383 Big Block

-
I will change the pistons and the rings , connecting rod bearings and crank bearings and also do a home hone job on the cylinders put a new rear main seal in it and clean the pick up tube. Make sure it’s clean and clean the oil pump if you do not wish to buy a new one
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it..

I have a square engine in my truck. The Ford 400. A lot of people wrongly claim they are junk, but in reality they're one of Ford's best engines. What's not to love about a square tall deck 400 cube Cleveland? It's a torque monster.
What's not to love.
Gas mileage.

Looks like I'm gonna rebuild the 383. My research tells me it's a 1969 2 barrel engine. Gonna clean it up, freshen up the heads, ring and bearings, cam, lifters etc. Doesn't appear to need boring...

Looks like I'm gonna rebuild the 383. My research tells me it's a 1969 2 barrel engine. Gonna clean it up, freshen up the heads, ring and bearings, cam, lifters etc. Doesn't appear to need boring...
I would hone the block to clean the cylinders up and help the cross hatch. Don’t go hog wild with the hone just a good clean hone.

IDK what your budget is but strongly consider hot tanking the block to clear out any gunk, new freeze plugs & reuse the threaded parts. I know you asked about a cam recommendation but what are your plans for the engine (daily driver, hot street, street/strip, strip, some of each, etc.)? I think you're limiting your cam choices if you intend to simply replace the #8 piston with another stock low compression cast piece. As others have said, your 383 would benefit from increased compression. If no one has monkeyed with your heads, they should be 906s which is a plus. When you clean them up, replace the valve stem seals. What intake & carb are you thinking about or are you going to reuse the cast iron 2 bbl? Lots of choices - you may need to temper your expectations depending which direction you go. You are doing the right thing by asking & answering questions. A big block in an A-body is a beautiful thing.

IDK what your budget is but strongly consider hot tanking the block to clear out any gunk, new freeze plugs & reuse the threaded parts. I know you asked about a cam recommendation but what are your plans for the engine (daily driver, hot street, street/strip, strip, some of each, etc.)? I think you're limiting your cam choices if you intend to simply replace the #8 piston with another stock low compression cast piece. As others have said, your 383 would benefit from increased compression. If no one has monkeyed with your heads, they should be 906s which is a plus. When you clean them up, replace the valve stem seals. What intake & carb are you thinking about or are you going to reuse the cast iron 2 bbl? Lots of choices - you may need to temper your expectations depending which direction you go. You are doing the right thing by asking & answering questions. A big block in an A-body is a beautiful thing.
Hot tank is for sure, gonna stick with the stock pistons and rods, low budget here. not expecting much more than 300 HP. I have a 4 BBl manifold and will be getting new Carb. Yes, I have the 906 heads, gonna get them freshened up. New rings, bearings and gaskets and hope for the best! Thanks for your advise!

Hot tank is for sure, gonna stick with the stock pistons and rods, low budget here. not expecting much more than 300 HP. I have a 4 BBl manifold and will be getting new Carb. Yes, I have the 906 heads, gonna get them freshened up. New rings, bearings and gaskets and hope for the best! Thanks for your advise!
I have a set of eight flat top standard bore 4.250 pistons for 383 of course that I took out of my block. They are in good shape and I am willing to let you have them for free if you will just cover the shipping. I will also include the connecting rods with them. They are in good shape. There’s no stuck rings. They can be cleaned up and reused one piston has a valve dent in it but it is not bad very shallow. when I measured them for deck height, they were like 40 thousands below the deck, and my block had never been machine at all, so that was a standard height block. Let me know.

I have a set of eight flat top standard bore 4.250 pistons for 383 of course that I took out of my block. They are in good shape and I am willing to let you have them for free if you will just cover the shipping. I will also include the connecting rods with them. They are in good shape. There’s no stuck rings. They can be cleaned up and reused one piston has a valve dent in it but it is not bad very shallow. when I measured them for deck height, they were like 40 thousands below the deck, and my block had never been machine at all, so that was a standard height block. Let me know.
That is very nice of you to offer this. I am looking to re-install my factory Pistons in there original bores. I will keep this in mind though. I did find one replacement piston for my bad one on Ebay. Thanks again!!!

-
Back