Your considered opinion on heads please

-

mayhem

Reaction score
I owe @A56 a response on the 340 block I asked about & will most probably be getting. Planning ahead, please give your opinions on the following 3 heads only (no TF, Eddy or other choices please & I don't need a lecture on buying parts made from Chinesesium):

1) '73 -587 iron heads w/o egr holes (has pads, not drilled), new valve guides, hardened valve seats, w/Eddy takeoff springs & spring retainers (7* if I did my homework right) - heads are bare & surface rust from sitting in damp environment. These are $150.

2) A bare set of 'J' heads, good condition. No cost to me.

3) A new set of loaded Speedmaster heads w/their stainless steel tip roller rockers kit. Cost to me would be a swap of 'parts in kind' to satisfy both parties. These would get, at a minimum, new springs, in addition to having them checked. THANK YOU to toolmanmike for the 'sticky' on the Speedmaster head thread and Harrisonm for his recent thread.

Cam is an unused old Lunati-703 w/271/279 adv dur (new grind is 268/276 adv), 226/234 @050, 494/513 lift per the cam card - see attached. Car is a '68 or '71 Dart, 727 trans, 3.23 or 3.55 limited slip 8 3/4. It will be street driven only.

Given the above, which set of heads is most appealing to you if you were building this engine?

LunatiSBMcam.jpeg

I think with cost in mind, the Speedmasters are the most cost effectiv option.
This Cam is a wonderful choice for Street use.
I drove this cam in a 340 with the RHS Steel Heads. That was really amazing.

I think with cost in mind, the Speedmasters are the most cost effectiv option.
This Cam is a wonderful choice for Street use.
I drove this cam in a 340 with the RHS Steel Heads. That was really amazing.
That's good to hear, thanks. You said it 'was' really amazing. Are you using a different engine/cam now?

Given the 3 choices, I personally would run the Speedmasters and have them bowl ported before they were used.

If f spending the money is not an issue to you, follow me advice.
The Speedmaster heads unported will out flow the OEM Iron heads. Porting the bowls is just more power.

The “Eddy take off springs” are pretty marginal for the lift Eddy advertised. So keep that in mind if you go with the heads with those springs.

7* is better but bullet proof?

LMAO - Hey! That was a great joke.

Thank you to all of you who have responded. The Speedmasters seem to be the overwhelming choice albeit a small sample size. I will also take @rumblefish360's advice and investigate bowl porting. I know I will be back with more questions and look forward to tapping into the considerable knowledge base here at FABO.

If the SM stuff if it is outfitted with 10 degree retainers and locks, I’d just stick with that. Last I looked, it’s advertised as chromoly, but the real strength benefit is the 10 degree locks and retainers. The steeper lock to retainer angle gives less chance of pull through.

Last edited:
-
Back