1960 Valiant Restore: advice welcomed.

-
Well, they cleaned out the radiator and re-installed it. They said it was the worst they had seen and nearly plugged solid with what I do not know, rust, I imagine. Maybe calcium salts? This leads me to wonder how often the engine ran hot and if this means I'm looking at rebuilding or replacing. Either way, I committed to getting this over the finish line.

Presently getting tires, the old tires were rotted out. The fuel tank got relined and a new fuel sending unit, so now all the gauges work, again. With the tires off, having the brakes investigated. I imagine every rubber bushing or seal is dry-rotted out, too, so I have no idea what will happen when I go down that rabbit hole.

I'm not keen on replacing the brakes with current standard discs and all the rest of it. As long as they are reasonably reliable and the parking brake works if they fail, that should be enough. I'm a safe driver, but Murphy's Law is just around the corner every single day.

This process seems to drag on endlessly, but sooner or later they have to run out of rotted out parts to replace. I hope.

Interior is next on the list. I am not hot to save 50% by taking it over the river to have the upholstery done. I hear horror stories of cars getting packed up with drugs and a homing device for the trip back over the border. I would like to think that never happens, but the reach and control of the Cartels over the local economy cannot be underestimated. There is absolutely no fall back plan once the car is over there.

This new woman President Mexico elected may be automatically assumed to be allowed to have won the election by the Cartels.

-
Back