1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
if you like driving it, you should attend the Woodward Dream Cruise (Detroit area). But only plan on the driving part Tuesday thru Thursday, it gets pretty crowded after that. Been there a few times, even got a "excessive noise / tire spinning citation" back in the 90's with the green Hemi Duster. No points, just a $100 donation to law enforcement. Usually the week after The nats @ Columbus.
I hope you framed it. lol

I hope you framed it. lol

......just another day on the glory trail for me. :)

Pretty sure I kept it, after 5 moves in the last decade, I will have to do some searching. It would be a good find and a nice piece for my wall.

That whole day was a blast. Drove up and down in the early afternoon and found a primo spot about a block away from our Holiday Inn at the split in Pontiac. When the sun went down, the goofballs came out with their mommas car trying to spin the tires. As things were winding down around 9:30-10 I pulled out to head back to the motel and did a nice John Force burn out right up to the stop light. I no more than got it stopped and I felt a tap on my shoulder. An officer on foot told me to turn the corner and pull into the parking lot which just happen to be our motel. I naturally complied but as he was walking up to my car I could hear him on his radio talking about a roll-back....so I asked him why would he impound my car when I have been seeing (half assed) burn outs all day long. He laughed and explained the roll-back was for a car elsewhere and gave me the "donation" citation which I thought was "fair" . After all, it was a nice burn out.

While parked along Woodward an older (likely my age now) guy started looking over the Hemi Duster and began asking all about how I built it. He loved the stock / incognito look. We BSed for over an hour and I could tell this wasn't your average spectator. Then he introduced himself (Tom Cottington) as one of the original Ramchargers, Said he loved the car and remarked as he strolled away....."we could of used you on our team". Whoaaa!!! It took me about a year to wipe the grin off my face.

Last edited:
I LOVE IT when I see cars like that in the rain! If they will drive in the rain they will drive anytime, anywhere! And despite common wisdom, I bet none of them melted!

I LOVE IT when I see cars like that in the rain! If they will drive in the rain they will drive anytime, anywhere! And despite common wisdom, I bet none of them melted!
Best part of the Hot Rod Power Tour for me was seeing so many really great cars being driven and enjoyed weather be damned. Much like your road trip last summer.
:thumbsup:

All fun and games until water gets in the carbs / engine. This particular car was built to be a quarter pounder, not a daily driver. Because you never know when you are forced to travel thru foul weather, I would advise Scott to plug the scoop when he is towing it on his open trailer. IMO, way too much effort and money was spent on this Hemi to be foolish.

Of course, your cars ...your call. I've done my share of being caught in the rain in my hot rods and on motorcycles....no thanks, but sometimes it is inevitable.

All fun and games until water gets in the carbs / engine. This particular car was built to be a quarter pounder, not a daily driver. Because you never know when you are forced to travel thru foul weather, I would advise Scott to plug the scoop when he is towing it on his open trailer. IMO, way too much effort and money was spent on this Hemi to be foolish.

Of course, your cars ...your call. I've done my share of being caught in the rain in my hot rods and on motorcycles....no thanks, but sometimes it is inevitable.
Agree. Traveling I have a packing blanket and a tarp over the entire engine and then close the hood. They worked great for the 2400-mile round trip. :thumbsup:

Agree. Traveling I have a packing blanket and a tarp over the entire engine and then close the hood. They worked great for the 2400-mile round trip. :thumbsup:
I remember when I had a car with 2x4s through the hood and was building a garage so it was outside for a while with a tarp on it. A big rain came and I learned that tarps are not very waterproof. I had air cleaners on the carb so no water got in there but there was water standing on the valley pan.

I remember when I had a car with 2x4s through the hood and was building a garage so it was outside for a while with a tarp on it. A big rain came and I learned that tarps are not very waterproof. I had air cleaners on the carb so no water got in there but there was water standing on the valley pan.
Thanks Bob, I will keep an eye on it while traveling. I bought a new packing blanket and small tarp specifically for travel and it covers the entire area and the hood does a good job of keeping everything in place.

I bought some large foam earlier to block the entire scoop, however, no good way to ensure it stays there while trailering the car.................

If that foam fits fairly tight, it should have nowhere to go. And if it moves back, the carbs/air cleaners should stop it. I did that same thing when I moved the avatar Demon from Detroit to Florida with a big piece of foam off Amazon stuffed into the 6-pack scoop. And of course, we had to drive through a monsoon that day but the top of the engine seemed to stay dry. Your scoop is likely taller and I'm sure you'll know what is best - just sharing my experience as I also wanted to keep bugs and any road debris out!

Last edited:
I that foam fits fairly tight, it should have nowhere to go. And if it moves back, the carbs/air cleaners should stop it. I did that same thing when I moved the avatar Demon from Detroit to Florida with a big piece of foam off Amazon stuffed into the 6-pack scoop. And of course, we had to drive through a monsoon that day but the top of the engine seemed to stay dry. Your scoop is likely taller and I'm sure you'll know what is best - just sharing my experience as I also wanted to keep bugs and any road debris out!
Thanks. With the bars in the front of the scoop, not much room there. It was best from the front, however I will try stuffing the foam in from the rear. :thumbsup:

I ordered this from Amazon and cut a chunk to fit. I will continue to mess around with it. The next trip on the trailer is Carlisle.

51+XBwM3SCL._AC_SX425_.jpg

if you like driving it, you should attend the Woodward Dream Cruise (Detroit area). But only plan on the driving part Tuesday thru Thursday, it gets pretty crowded after that. Been there a few times, even got a "excessive noise / tire spinning citation" back in the 90's with the green Hemi Duster. No points, just a $100 donation to law enforcement. Usually the week after The Nats @ Columbus.

Should come up the weekend before and experience Roadkill Nights, it's always a good time.

The police are cracking down on loud exhausts even more now.

There's pretty much no chance of 'driving' after about 11am the day of, Woodward becomes a parking lot filled with minivans and newer chargers and mustangs. Just get there early in the morning and you're good for a few hours, then walk the street looking at cars. If you need a spot to park it, my club rents a lot and usually has an extra spot or two. They also put on a Mopar only event the Wednesday before.

Should come up the weekend before and experience Roadkill Nights, it's always a good time.

The police are cracking down on loud exhausts even more now.

There's pretty much no chance of 'driving' after about 11am the day of, Woodward becomes a parking lot filled with minivans and newer chargers and mustangs. Just get there early in the morning and you're good for a few hours, then walk the street looking at cars. If you need a spot to park it, my club rents a lot and usually has an extra spot or two. They also put on a Mopar only event the Wednesday before.

Can you image the fun if between 6pm and 10pm the Woodward circuit was limited to 1975 and older cars.

BTW...what does it take to join your club? Likely worth the price of admission for just the Woodward event.

Can you image the fun if between 6pm and 10pm the Woodward circuit was limited to 1975 and older cars.

BTW...what does it take to join your club? Likely worth the price of admission for just the Woodward event.

That would be amazing if there was a way to pull that off! The cops would be busy, that's for sure! Lol

For just that event, you could show up as a guest. The club is the Detroit area chapter of Twisted Axle Car Club, it's a few bucks for a new member, you get a shirt, a sticker for your car, and are eligible for the raffle prizes they give away at club events and able to be in the Autorama club display.

Here's the website for some info.

Home - Twisted Axle Motorsports

And on FB it's Twisted Axle Car Club, the official local club page is the Detroit Area Only one since we use it to organize local cruises and shows.

That would be amazing if there was a way to pull that off! The cops would be busy, that's for sure! Lol

For just that event, you could show up as a guest. The club is the Detroit area chapter of Twisted Axle Car Club, it's a few bucks for a new member, you get a shirt, a sticker for your car, and are eligible for the raffle prizes they give away at club events and able to be in the Autorama club display.

Here's the website for some info.

Home - Twisted Axle Motorsports

And on FB it's Twisted Axle Car Club, the official local club page is the Detroit Area Only one since we use it to organize local cruises and shows.

I joined...well, I applied. Maybe see you on Woodward. Kinda makes me want to do a free rev.......Whoompa!

That's what I did with my 71 Dart years ago. I had a functional sealed to the hood Mopar Pro scoop. I went to the craft store and got some dense foam and cut it to fit the opening. Painted the outside flat black and it worked fine.

The new carpet really cleaned up the interior. That OEM shift tower sure is tall and great for leverage, but when you get tired of granny shifting and want improve your power shifts....and you will,..... bolt a shorter tower on. It will / would put a grin on your late FIL.

what's the next stop on the show tour?

The new carpet really cleaned up the interior. That OEM shift tower sure is tall and great for leverage, but when you get tired of granny shifting and want improve your power shifts....and you will,..... bolt a shorter tower on. It will / would put a grin on your late FIL.

what's the next stop on the show tour?
Thanks Denny! Next up is Carlisle..................:thumbsup:

-
Back