440 Build Head and Cam Selection?

-

NJ Duster

Reaction score
So I sold the small block and I'm in the process of building my 440.:D
The car will be mostly street with some occasional passes down the track. I'm looking for around 500 hp.
I would like the car to have a lopey idle with low end to mid range power.
Do you guys have any input on heads or cam selection for my build?
Performer RPM heads are too steep for me. Anyone running the Source 440 stealth heads?

Here is the plan for now:
1972 Duster
4 Speed
1968 440 .030
L2355 Pistons
10.1 Cr
Iron 516 or Stealth Heads (I own the 516 heads but they will need a rebuild and I would put the bigger exhaust valves)
Stock Rockers
Lunati Voodoo Cam 10230703 (60303) or 10230704 (60304) I want stay hydraulic flat tappet
RPM Performer Intake
800 AVS Edelbrock Thunder Carb
TTI 2" Headers and TTI 3" Exhaust
3.23 8-3/4 rear. Gear could change in the future.

The last set of stock heads I had done with oversized valves cost me 1200$ and that was 16 years ago. It didn't make 500hp.

3.23 gears are not for that combo. What are you running for tire under this car?

In my opinion you are setting yourself up for a miserable experience. A car that doesn't work and isn't fun to drive.

To answer your original question...

Just run whatever heads are the cheapest for you. Get the mother thumper cam from comp cams. You won't be 500hp but it will sound like it's a top fuel dragster and it will burn the tires for you.

Last edited:
dad has CNC stealth heads and they have been good, also look at the sidewinders from marsh performance

The last set of stock heads I had done with oversized valves cost me 1200$. It didn't make 500hp.

3.23 gears are not for that combo. What are you running for tire under this car?

In my opinion you are setting yourself up for a miserable experience. A car that doesn't work and isn't fun to drive.

To answer your original question...

Just run whatever heads are the cheapest for you. Get the mother thumper cam from comp cams. You won't be 500hp but it will sound like it's a top fuel dragster and it will burn the tires for you.

I'm running 26" tires. I figured I would have to change the rear eventually. 500hp isn't the make or break of my build. What exactly is wrong with my combo? Do you have any experience with the voodoo cams?

26 x ?? Tires? What brand and model tire?

If the build is what you want, or what you think you want, then there is nothing wrong with it. However, all too often people have an idea in there mind that is either inaccurate, or so far from reality they end up unhappy with the outcome.

So to answer your question.

500hp. It take a lot more than people think to make 500hp with a 440. Even more for it to be anything that resembles a street car. Even more to have something that actually works and functions.

You want a lopey idle. But you want low end and mid range. These tings can go hand in hand but usually don't and they don't make for a fun street driven car. Unless you like to just go out and flog the **** out of it for a few miles and then park it. The last vehicle I put together the guy wanted that. He has never driven it more than maybe 5 miles at a rip in 2 years. He hates it.

RPm heads are too expensive. But you want to run stock heads all redone with oversized valves. you may want to compare the prices of those 2 things before making your final decision.

3:23 gears. That a really tall gear to drive around behind a lopey street engine.

Tires and chassis. My reason for asking you what tires you run is that 500hp isn't easy to hook up. If all it's going to do is smoke the tires all the time than 500hp is waste of your time and money.

A cam is a cam. If the person cutting it does quality work and it's the right specs. It's a good cam. I use comp cams most of the time. I'm sure lunati is fine. Voodoo line cams are a marketing gimmick. They are cams. The ones you are looking at are small cams with relatively large lobe separation angles. They aren't going to be lopey.

You probably about now think I'm a total dick. Just trying to save you some trouble later on is all.

26 x ?? Tires? What brand and model tire?

If the build is what you want, or what you think you want, then there is nothing wrong with it. However, all too often people have an idea in there mind that is either inaccurate, or so far from reality they end up unhappy with the outcome.

So to answer your question.

500hp. It take a lot more than people think to make 500hp with a 440. Even more for it to be anything that resembles a street car. Even more to have something that actually works and functions.

You want a lopey idle. But you want low end and mid range. These tings can go hand in hand but usually don't and they don't make for a fun street driven car. Unless you like to just go out and flog the **** out of it for a few miles and then park it. The last vehicle I put together the guy wanted that. He has never driven it more than maybe 5 miles at a rip in 2 years. He hates it.

RPm heads are too expensive. But you want to run stock heads all redone with oversized valves. you may want to compare the prices of those 2 things before making your final decision.

3:23 gears. That a really tall gear to drive around behind a lopey street engine.

Tires and chassis. My reason for asking you what tires you run is that 500hp isn't easy to hook up. If all it's going to do is smoke the tires all the time than 500hp is waste of your time and money.

A cam is a cam. If the person cutting it does quality work and it's the right specs. It's a good cam. I use comp cams most of the time. I'm sure lunati is fine. Voodoo line cams are a marketing gimmick. They are cams. The ones you are looking at are small cams with relatively large lobe separation angles. They aren't going to be lopey.

You probably about now think I'm a total dick. Just trying to save you some trouble later on is all.
Again I'm not set on 500hp, nor did I ask whether it will make 500hp or not. That was not the question. Yes I understand about the gears, if you notice I wrote that it could change in my original post. If you cant answer the question asked that is fine.

If you want the Stealth heads, and I would, dont buy from them, OOTB, and install. . Go to MRL, IMM, Or Jim Laroy, and have them gone over and set up correctly. You may be sorry if you dont.

I'd go trick flow 600 plus hp is no problem with them. You can get serious power without going to crazy with cam just go with hydraulic roller though.

here's dad's with stealth heads,
440 stock stroke, CNC stealth heads
solid .620/260 Hughes cam
Victor intake
850 Holley
went 7.30 1/8
motor is out right now, switching to roller cam
IMG_1722.JPG

This is without any claim as to suitability for your purpose..............

440, 10:1, Comp Cams XE284H, Our service prepped Stealth heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, ProForm 780 cfm carburetor.

RPM......................TQ/HP
3000...................481/275
3200...................488/297
3400...................537/348
3600...................542/372
3800...................543/393
4000...................542/413
4200...................535/427
4400...................530/444
4600...................526/460
4800...................526/481
5000...................528/503
5200...................518/513
5400...................499/513
5600...................485/517..........end of dyno run

Josh Cox 440 024.jpg

Last edited:
This is without any claim as to suitability for your purpose..............

440, 10:1, Comp Cams XE284H, Our service prepped Stealth heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, ProForm 780 cfm carburetor.

RPM......................TQ/HP
3000...................481/275
3200...................488/297
3400...................537/348
3600...................542/372
3800...................543/393
4000...................542/413
4200...................535/427
4400...................530/444
4600...................526/460
4800...................526/481
5000...................528/503
5200...................518/513
5400...................499/513
5600...................485/517..........end of dyno run

View attachment 1714977438
Those are pretty good numbers! Do you think that cam is too aggressive for the street? What do you charge for the heads?

Those are pretty good numbers! Do you think that cam is too aggressive for the street? What do you charge for the heads?

This will explain what we do to the heads and the pricing. Read at least to post #7........

OOTB Stealth vs Prepped Stealth?

Do I think it is too much for the street? 481 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm, 3.23 gears and a 4-spd manual..........ah......nope.........I don't think it is too much cam.

yes the heads were bolted on right out of the box, other than a valve spring change, I believe 440 source used modern cylinder heads to do the CNC porting back then. idk about now

I'm looking for around 500 hp.

Do you guys have any input on heads or cam selection for my build?

Again I'm not set on 500hp, nor did I ask whether it will make 500hp or not.

If you cant answer the question asked that is fine.

Your original question answered.

Comp Cams 21-602-5

Stealth Heads. They are 1,000 for an assembled set. You can't build your heads for that price.

This will lope and will make around 500hp.

Your original question answered.

Comp Cams 21-602-5

Stealth Heads. They are 1,000 for an assembled set. You can't build your heads for that price.

This will lope and will make around 500hp.
Yep it'll do. There are a thousand way to skin this lopey/horsepower cat and this is one of them.

If I'm not mistaken, CNC Stealth heads are roughly the same price as the Trick Flow heads (Both are CNC). I believe that as good as the CNC'd Stealth's are, the Trick Flows are superior.

I just built my 440 for my Demon.
Stock flat tops
cast crank
stealth heads OOTB
Comp EX274H cam (wish I would have went bigger)
TTI 1 3/4' headers
Eddy performer 440 intake
650 DP Holley(used what I had with the budget, 850 coming in the spring)
Been told with the heads and my head gaskets factored in I am running 9/9.25-1 compression
4 speed
8 3/4 with 3.91s and a 26" tire
Even though she is under carbed big time and the timing set for street trim she screams. Took it to the track with full 2.5 exhaust with turbo mufflers, 650 DP, street tires, timing at 22* initial and 35* all in vac unhooked, spinning off the line, and issues with second gear not going in smooth it ran a best 1/4 mile ET of 14.38 at 100 mph. Had one pass that was a 14.97 @ 101 mph. Blew the tires off really bad and had to lift. I know it will run a way better ET with an 850, timing advanced, slicks, and power shifting. Cant wait for next season. No where near 500 hp but for now it will work. I know you said that did not matter for the build, it is a goal. Most people won't like what I did with mine but it was a budget build as well. Motor was in my 76 W200. All I did was swap the cam and install headers. So the heads have around 12,000 miles and look great for being out of the box. Just my two cents you asked for. I like the previously mentioned built. May have to take notes on that one. Good luck!!!

get some traction under that thing 4gear and let us know what it runs

-
Back