67 383 Super Commando

-

matthon

Reaction score
I know what the correct air cleaner looks like, but what is the correct pie tin, "Super Commando 383" or "Commando 383"?

correct 67 air cleaner and valve covers.jpg

67barracuda021.jpg

According to my "Challenger and Barracuda restoration guide" on -67 cars it says "383 commando" and for -68 cars "383 super commando"

Super Commando is a 4bbl engine and Commando is a 2bbl engine.

Makes sense, good info.

According to my "Challenger and Barracuda restoration guide" on -67 cars it says "383 commando" and for -68 cars "383 super commando"

Of course, everything is different on the 67 cars for some reason.

Does anyone have a 67 sales brochure or similar with a pic of the engine?

I found your book online, and apparently it was a 383 Commando red pie tin in 1967, a Super Commando red pie tin in 68/69, and 70 it became orange.

Well, I made a scan out of the pic of the 383 option from my sales brochure from -67. You can see that the color of the letters on the pie tin is orange.
Now if we draw the conclusion that the "super commando" is in black letters and the "commando" letters is orange from the pics you posted, then I would say that it says "Commando" on the -67 cars.......maybe, lol, you never know for sure.
Sorry for the large pic but I thought that it would be easier to look at the
letters.

IMG.jpg

I was thinking that maybe they used a different engine for the pic, but that definitely looks like an a-body exhaust manifold. Based on the size of the "Commando", or what you can see of it, it doesn't appear that there is enough room for the "Super", and it sure looks orange with black 383 numbers.
The first pic looks red against the red car, and this pic below it looks red as well. All the Commando 383 pie tins available today are red.
Was it the way it was listed in the brochure for 67, only for a short time, never as listed in the brochure?
And painted exhaust manifolds? Was that the way they came?

2006%20Carlisle%202073.jpg

The sales brochure I got is in Swedish and it doesn´t say anything about a 383 engine, however the dealer in Sweden at the time
(who actually was SAAB Automobile) didn´t import the 383 FS version.
These cars had to be on special orders from Chrysler.
On a sidenote, all cars sold in Sweden by SAAB also came with auto trannys.

Those manifolds do look funny, almost as a tube manifold, if it wasn´t for the flange I would say it looks as header.

Oh btw, since the brochure is old, it is possible that it doesn´t reflect the colors as they are supposed to look like.

-
Back