Any benefit to 10” wheel?

-

Big Chief talking about tires in the first few minutes. Apparently stretching the tire out stiffens the sidewall not softens it.

Years back I had a 9 sec car ( duster) that was on super stock springs.
It wasn’t minitubbed or anything. I ran that same size tire( basically 28 by 10) on an 8 inch wheel.
Raced a 10.0 points series at a track up North of me, which at the time was a touch sketchy and bumpy. Car moved around a TON.
Put 10 inch wheels on it. Made a HUGE difference. Couldn’t believe how much better it handled.
You won’t be sorry going to a wider wheel. Zero downside.

Ok, I got the tires mounted on some 10” rims. Gained clearance between the leafs and the sidewall. Probably could have gone with a 5” backspace rather than the 4”. So next question is what would be a good starting air pressure for street cruising, street rips and track?

I can't help with tire pressures, but I'm sure someone will chime in. I was wondering what the width of your Dana is? Are your springs offset?

I'm trying to put a 15X10 wheel with 5.5bs into my Duster. My 8 3/4 is stock width and the springs have been offset with the Dr. Diff kit. I'm not afraid to grind the lip of the wheel well if necessary. I have 7" between the face of the drum and the leafs, and 4.5" between the quarter lip and the drum. I was planning on running a 275 tire and the way I'm seeing it, if I run a 5.5bs wheel that will put the outer edge of the wheel in line with the quarter lip. Was wondering if anyone knows if this combo would work?

@MomsDuster let's see some pics of your new wheels?

Last edited:
I can't help with tire pressures, but I'm sure someone will chime in. I was wondering what the width of your Dana is? Are your springs offset?

I'm trying to put a 15X10 wheel with 5.5bs into my Duster. My 8 3/4 is stock width and the springs have been offset with the Dr. Diff kit. I'm not afraid to grind the lip of the wheel well if necessary. I have 7" between the face of the drum and the leafs, and 4.5" between the quarter lip and the drum. I was planning on running a 275 tire and the way I'm seeing it, if I run a 5.5bs wheel that will put the outer edge of the wheel in line with the quarter lip. Was wondering if anyone knows if this combo would work?

@MomsDuster let's see some pics of your new wheels?
The Dana is stock width, springs are in the stock location and they are SS springs. I’m not sure I’m digging the looks yet. I’ll get her out of the garage today and get better pics.

IMG_9439.jpeg

IMG_9442.jpeg

IMG_9438.jpeg

IMG_9437.jpeg
IMG_9442.jpeg

IMG_9444.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back