Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Air rifle. One of the Crossman pumps like the old 760 or 2200 are cheap, pretty quiet, and sufficient to do the job at ten yards or so. The break-barrel springers are more powerful, but can get pretty loud unless they include a moderator. A .22 cal pellet in the ear at 750-800 fps should be money, but a .177 won't let you down either.

With school out all of the school districts security teams are getting their annual training and shooting qualifications targets completed. I have been on the road for almost two straight weeks. I will back read at some point. Students arrive tomorrow for yet another solid week of training. I got tin hung on the shelter yesterday. Our boy came over and helped me. I would still be out there if it was not for him. I don’t have the trim pieces up yet. But we got shade!

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg

IMG_1716.jpeg

With school out all of the school districts security teams are getting their annual training and shooting qualifications targets completed. I have been on the road for almost two straight weeks. I will back read at some point. Students arrive tomorrow for yet another solid week of training. I got tin hung on the shelter yesterday. Our boy came over and helped me. I would still be out there if it was not for him. I don’t have the trim pieces up yet. But we got shade!

View attachment 1716260853

View attachment 1716260854

View attachment 1716260855
I see Hemi helping too.

Been a while since I chimed in over here. Figured I'd share my latest winter project. Mauser 96 rebarrled with a shaw 24" 6.5x55. Cut welded and shaped the bolt. All I have left is fitting the barreled action to the stock and fitting a scope friendly safety. I also have a video series on YouTube on this project if anyone is interested I'll post them here

View attachment 1716258430

View attachment 1716258431

View attachment 1716258432

View attachment 1716258433

View attachment 1716258434

View attachment 1716258435

View attachment 1716258436

View attachment 1716258437
Thanks so much for the post, I am just now back reading and trying to catch up after a couple weeks on the work tread mill! Love watching the build. Looks like a heavy barrel? What is the intended use for this one?

Air rifle. One of the Crossman pumps like the old 760 or 2200 are cheap, pretty quiet, and sufficient to do the job at ten yards or so. The break-barrel springers are more powerful, but can get pretty loud unless they include a moderator. A .22 cal pellet in the ear at 750-800 fps should be money, but a .177 won't let you down either.
I got about a million miles as a kid in the woods hauling around a Crossman 760. Many a rabbit for lunch on the spot!

I've got three going on at once. I work on guns like I do my cars, can't just do one at a time. Lol. I have that one. A model 93 I'm gonna barrel in 300 savage and a large ring 98 I'm actually doing my own wildcat cartridge in. I'm sure I'm just reinventing the wheel but I've always wanted to build my own wildcat cartridge and chamber it in a custom gun. So I'm doing it.
You will have to keep us posted on the wildcat development. That is the epitome of hot rodding in the ammunition world!

120 round in my (now) nail driver 9mm cousin. Not one miss fire or lock up, loving my Homesteader by Henry, took her to a range when camping and dialed her in, was a fun day, had three people looking at it and let one fellow shoot it.

17180520133314944269499048475242.jpg

You will have to keep us posted on the wildcat development. That is the epitome of hot rodding in the ammunition world!
Yea I will for sure. I have the basic dimensions figured out and I had a reamer made. It is a throatless reamer so I have to cut the neck and throat with a 2nd reamer. I have to take some pictures when I get back home

@Sublime one ok here goes so like I said before I'm basically reinventing the wheel here I know most professional gunsmiths will say I'm wasting my time and money but that's OK. It's something I've always wanted to do I found a "void" to fill. That's what wildcatting is all about. So it's going to be a mid length 30 cal that will fit on a mauser action or a standard long action and be able to handle long BC bullets in a standard length magazine. The length dimensions are not set in stone the drawing is my preliminary drawing I can adjust the length as needed with the reamer. The shoulder angle is 30 degrees PO Ackley himself thought that was about the magic shoulder degree. The neck and throat will be cut separately to get the proper neck tension but my ideal neck length is .31 that is what I want to keep the trim length to 2.25. My idea behind it is a 3006 based performance with long bc bullets. In theory I should be able to get long action velocity with a high bc bullet. Most of the longer high bc bullets will not fit in a long action mag when seated in a 3006 length case. Basically I'm filling the void between a 3006 and 308. Its something that most people will probably think is stupid and it would never sale or be desirable but when complete I'll have a gun that Noone else has. In the picture I have a mocked up case that has been formed but not fire formed yet so the shoulder isn't exactly where it should be. Imagine a 300 savage in an 8mm length that's the basic dimensions. Of course the neck and body taper will be different. I have my mocked up one between a 3006 and 308 for comparison. There is a standard 150 bullet seated for illustration purposes only the final cartridge will be a 178 grain eld x. And the oal will be based around that bullet in the throat. Hope you enjoy!

20240610_202931.jpg

20240610_202852.jpg

20240610_202906.jpg

20240610_202857.jpg

20240610_203027.jpg

@Sublime one ok here goes so like I said before I'm basically reinventing the wheel here I know most professional gunsmiths will say I'm wasting my time and money but that's OK. It's something I've always wanted to do I found a "void" to fill. That's what wildcatting is all about. So it's going to be a mid length 30 cal that will fit on a mauser action or a standard long action and be able to handle long BC bullets in a standard length magazine. The length dimensions are not set in stone the drawing is my preliminary drawing I can adjust the length as needed with the reamer. The shoulder angle is 30 degrees PO Ackley himself thought that was about the magic shoulder degree. The neck and throat will be cut separately to get the proper neck tension but my ideal neck length is .31 that is what I want to keep the trim length to 2.25. My idea behind it is a 3006 based performance with long bc bullets. In theory I should be able to get long action velocity with a high bc bullet. Most of the longer high bc bullets will not fit in a long action mag when seated in a 3006 length case. Basically I'm filling the void between a 3006 and 308. Its something that most people will probably think is stupid and it would never sale or be desirable but when complete I'll have a gun that Noone else has. In the picture I have a mocked up case that has been formed but not fire formed yet so the shoulder isn't exactly where it should be. Imagine a 300 savage in an 8mm length that's the basic dimensions. Of course the neck and body taper will be different. I have my mocked up one between a 3006 and 308 for comparison. There is a standard 150 bullet seated for illustration purposes only the final cartridge will be a 178 grain eld x. And the oal will be based around that bullet in the throat. Hope you enjoy!

View attachment 1716261023

View attachment 1716261024

View attachment 1716261025

View attachment 1716261026

View attachment 1716261027
Why not! I like your thinking and ambition. I’ve got a couple wildcats in the works but have to get the Cuda done first. I’ve made a .223 Remington five flute reamer from scratch and hope to do same for a couple of larger bore wildcats. I do this stuff for me and most new cartridges since the 30-06 have been marginal improvements at best and crap on a good day.

Why not! I like your thinking and ambition. I’ve got a couple wildcats in the works but have to get the Cuda done first. I’ve made a .223 Remington five flute reamer from scratch and hope to do same for a couple of larger bore wildcats. I do this stuff for me and most new cartridges since the 30-06 have been marginal improvements at best and crap on a good day.
I agree! Alot of the new cartridges are designed based on a certain criteria. Like the straight wall craze was started due to law changes in some states requiring straight wall cartridges. Are the ballisticly superior to some 100 year old cartridges nope I don't think so but they fill that void. I did a video on a 350 legend vs 35 remington. I own both and the only advantage IMO that the legend has is availability!! Using modern bullets and modern powders in the 35 rem it is ballisticly better.

View attachment 1716261023

View attachment 1716261024

View attachment 1716261025

View attachment 1716261026

View attachment 1716261027
O heck yes! That is way past cool. Ackley forgot more than most scribes knew. You get it done, send me one cartridge and I will put it in a shadow box in the gun shop with your name on a tab as the inventor! Just outstanding work.

O heck yes! That is way past cool. Ackley forgot more than most scribes knew. You get it done, send me one cartridge and I will put it in a shadow box in the gun shop with your name on a tab as the inventor! Just outstanding work.
Sure will bud! I just got my barrel in a few days ago I ordered it back in November. Lol it will probably be fall winter before I work on it again spring in summer are for cars fall and winter are for guns lol. I really need to go to the range and do some shooting. I have to work up a load for my 308.

-
Back