‘73 Duster Rear End Options!

-

Ratty73Duster

Reaction score
So, I’ve been a bit confused lately about the rear ends in A bodies. I’ve got a ‘73 Duster with a 7.25” rear end, and I want to upgrade. I’m not seeing a ton of options, besides maybe finding an A body 8.75” and bolting that in. I also couldn’t justify dropping $3k+ on a new rear end. I’ve read that certain Ford 9” units will pretty much bolt in. So, my question is this; What kind of affordable options are out there? Should I just look for a good 8.75” out of a dart or something? Or maybe do something custom? I wouldn’t shy away from a little bit of custom fab work, I’m just not sure where to start.

Oh! I’m doing the HDK coil-over conversion in the front, and hopefully a decent small block stroker/727 combo. Kinda going for a sleeper-type deal. Suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!

13C1484F-B970-43FA-83C0-F37B36943D99.jpeg

So in 73 and 74 the 340-360 Dusters (most of them) came with the 8 1/4 suregrip rear end. Usually 3.21 or optional 3.55 gears, and they are big bolt pattern. They are strong and the 8 3/4 has a reputation for strength also, but most A-body 8 3/4 units are small bolt pattern. You could get either and have them beefed up a little. Nice Duster!

You probably won't want to go this radical, but I installed a 1970 E body 8 3/4 (challenger) in my '65 A body and flared the wheel wells to fit. In other words, we did not narrow the differential.

65 Valiant2.jpg

65 Valiant3.jpeg

65 Valiant1.jpg

Wondering the same... I have a '69 Dodge Charger 8 3/4 rear and I know guys have put them in Dusters but haven't seen any pictures.

The B-body rear ends are a lot easier to come by, at least where I'm at.

8 1/4 from a '73-'76 A body is big bolt pattern (4 1/2") and is a bolt-in. Any A body 8 3/4 will bolt in, but (stock) you will have the 4" bolt circle, but big bolt axles are available- but those require B/C body brakes.
Ford 9" out of a Muskrat/Maverick/Comet I hear is a bolt-in. 4 1/2 bolt circle.
Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer fits with some minor work: since center is offset, you shorten the long tube to match the short side and use two short axles. Cheap, plentiful, and with smart shopping gets you good gears, limited slip and disc brakes.
All the above get you stock (or damned close) width rears.
B body rears are a little wider than As (there are variations in years), the perches are off by a half inch or so per side.
Big B, C and truck/van 8 3/4 rears can be narrowed to whatever width you want. Same goes for truck Dana 60s.
All depends on what you want (small BP, large BP, stock width, narrowed, etc.)and how much you want to spend.
LOTS of threads on here about all these options, search and read.

8 1/4 from a '73-'76 A body is big bolt pattern (4 1/2") and is a bolt-in. Any A body 8 3/4 will bolt in, but (stock) you will have the 4" bolt circle, but big bolt axles are available- but those require B/C body brakes.
Ford 9" out of a Muskrat/Maverick/Comet I hear is a bolt-in. 4 1/2 bolt circle.
Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer fits with some minor work: since center is offset, you shorten the long tube to match the short side and use two short axles. Cheap, plentiful, and with smart shopping gets you good gears, limited slip and disc brakes.
All the above get you stock (or damned close) width rears.
B body rears are a little wider than As (there are variations in years), the perches are off by a half inch or so per side.
Big B, C and truck/van 8 3/4 rears can be narrowed to whatever width you want. Same goes for truck Dana 60s.
All depends on what you want (small BP, large BP, stock width, narrowed, etc.)and how much you want to spend.
LOTS of threads on here about all these options, search and read.

Thanks for the information! After doing a bit more research on the 8.8's out of the Explorers, I'm really considering taking that route! Found a few at a local pull-a-part for around $100, with 3.73s and disc brakes. Shortening it up shouldn't be too much of a chore, don't mind a bit of fabrication to make it work. It'd definitely be a more affordable option!

I got a Ford 9" for free and narrowed it just a tick shorter than stock A body width to go under the Valiant. I do plan on getting axles from Moser Engineering. Two wheel drive Dana 60s are just as plentiful and cheap.

Wondering the same... I have a '69 Dodge Charger 8 3/4 rear and I know guys have put them in Dusters but haven't seen any pictures.

The B-body rear ends are a lot easier to come by, at least where I'm at.

I put one in my Dart Sport. Stock Rallye wheels.

8 3-4 fitment.JPG

-
Back