‘75 Dart Sport /6 which rear bearing size?

-

Jax_1975_Dart

Reaction score
My rear wheels make a humming sound while driving the car. It gets more frequent at higher speeds. Long story short, we jacked up the rear end, put it in drive and used a stethoscope-type device to verify that the rear bearings are starting to fail/are making the humming sound.

How do I figure out if I need the 7.25” size or the 8.25” size rear bearings?

Thank you!
Vehicle is oem for the rear end. ‘75 Dart Sport with /6.

Most likely 7.25- however, confirm that:
Mopar_rear_id.jpg

Big bolt pattern 7 1/4” and small bolt 7 1/4” are two different animals and use different bearings. I’m referring to the wheel bolt pattern. The BBP rear uses C clips, SBP axles are bolted in and use a pressed on bearing.

Big bolt pattern 7 1/4” and small bolt 7 1/4” are two different animals and use different bearings. I’m referring to the wheel bolt pattern. The BBP rear uses C clips, SBP axles are bolted in and use a pressed on bearing.

Roy, you are correct about the different size bearings, between the BBP and SBP 7 1/4 rears. Pretty sure you are thinking about the 8 1/4 having "C" clips.
I have several SPB and BBP 7 1/4 rears, and none have "C" clips. I don't know about the late 7 1/4 rear used in other then "A" bodies (small truck, or Jeep, I think).

Most likely 7.25- however, confirm that:
View attachment 1715559695
To add to this,there is a 7.25 with a stepped axle tube. Tube is larger at wheel ends,so the brackets are the same as 8.25. I learned a hard lesson with a newer 7.25.
Early 80’s. it has the c-clips. The real tell tale is tube is 2-1/2 at diff housing and is stepped up to 3”
Big bolt pattern drums interchange between 7.25,8.25 and 8-3/8” truck diff.

I wanted to take a brief moment to thank everyone who chimed in on my Dart’s rear end! With all of your help I was able to order the correct bearing parts & seals; for the rear end (that I was previously unable to identify).

I took a few pics but, was learning along the way (and didn’t take any while we pressed the new bearings back onto the axles). Also, for what it’s worth... removing the seals was a bear to get the OEM ones out.

-
Back