“Max effort daily driver” 318 build vs “Budget” 400 swap

-
I agree with the comments that the big block swap makes more sense in the context I would be using this car. Hard to argue against more low end torque on a milder build. If built with KB flat tops, I'd have a solid foundation of a short block. And if properly tuned, I expect the fuel economy penalty to be small. I'd port the cast iron heads and run them. I can always bolt on a set of aluminum heads down the road If I chose to. And when someone asks what kind of car I drive, I get to say "I drive a big block Dart!"

I could sell some of my small block stuff to fund schumacher headers. I had considered running HP C body exhaust manifolds, and angle milling the driver's side one to clear the steering shaft. But by then I wouldn't be so far off from having headers shipped to my door. And the tri-y's wouldn't require any machining to fit the car.

Regarding keeping the car running, the car is currently parked. My 7.25 rear started buzzing around december and it's getting replaced by a 29 spline 8.25. I need to take care of that before I can get it on the road again. And I wanted to decide what I was gonna do about the engine before getting that project going, since drivetrain choice would impact driveshaft length as well.

Why isn't a big block good daily driver?
Whatever power level eg.. 300 350 400 hp etc.. 400 will be the mildest version needing less gear stall, it will make the most power idle-4500 rpm where 99% of street driving is. The only so called drawback is size and weight which are minor compared to the benefits. A mild 400 would be an awesome daily driver, only thing better 500 plus.
It is, but he already has intake manifolds and headers and other parts for a sb. $1000 TTi headers on a daily? Not me. Now if it's a weekend warrior BB all the way. Find an 8 3/4 or you're wasting your money.

Last edited:
It is, but he already has intake manifolds and headers and other parts for a sb. $1000 TTi headers on a daily? Not me. Now if it's a weekend warrior BB all the way. Find an 8 3/4 or you're wasting your money.
Did you notice his location, I bet there is not much parts there.

-
Back