1 more seat question - save these or go new aftermarket

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
well i am still torn - pun intended - on what to do with my 67 gt. i do really like the look of stock interiors but i am worried about the cost of new covers, foam and installation if i cant do it. i am also impatient and want to drive the car in the spring - not waste the few good weather months tinkering.

i do also like the simple lines of the procar lowback seats and the high back version of them. with the 10% off coupon from summit i am looking at just over 400 for the small ones and 450 for the higher back. i'll make my own sliders or may even just skip them as i always kept the seata all the way back.

here are my stockers. for a very budget conscious driver quality car, do you think i should save these or see what i can get for them and use that cash for the drop-in seats? i am staying with the white interior no matter what.

heres the pics.

dr_1.jpg

dr_2.jpg

dr_3.jpg

dr_4.jpg

dr_5.jpg

pass_1.jpg

pass_2.jpg

pass_3.jpg

pass_4.jpg

pass_5.jpg

Its your car. Your choise.
I wouldn't sell the original seats unless I was parting out the car.
I would put them back in the car and drive it for now. I've sat on much worse.
ps the track with the red spring turned to the outside , looks wrong to me. Maybe I'm wrong...

depends on what you want to tell you the truth. when your done with foam and covers you will have as much into them as aftermarket seats cost. reclining aftermarket seats with nice lumbar support are alot more comfortable too. but if ya like the stock look just redo them and be done.

I'm with the other two guys on this one. It looks like your driver seat will need a seat bun (lower cushion foam) for sure as well as upholstery. I have a personal preference for Legendary's stuff.

I don't know what labor rates are in your area, so I couldn't begin to tell you what it might run. It isn't real hard work, but it has to be done right or you wind up with a mess in the car and your wallet. Your photos are good showing where the hog rings would go. Buy some extra material and practice if you're doubtful.

Are you replacing much or all of the back seats?

Looks as though the inserts are very usable. I like preservation of original stuff if at all possible and if the finished work looks VERY presentable.

If you look closely at my pic gallery you'll see an original back seat with piping that has yellowed over time. The front seats LOOK all original because after a very good cleaning I was able to use the original inserts and replace I believe only five or so of the original torn panels.

Of course new foam was needed as will yours but the key to keeping the original look was the use of a slightly yellowish vinyl upholstery for the piping.
My instructions to the upholsterer was to make the piping smaller than is most commonly used to also achieve an original feel.

If the original insert is still supple and not AT ALL brittle they should be usable if you're able to do a proper cleaning.

Now then, how to clean them: Follow these steps very closely and you'll have wonderful results.
1. Use a mixture of automotive rubbing compound and Simple Green.

2. Using a nylon brush(more substantial than a fingernail brush) with about the same length of brushes with sturdier and greater amount of bristles, scrub in the aprox. 50/50 cleaning mixture as stated above.

3. Do about a six to eight inch square area and wash the area of with straight Simple Green using any terrycloth towel.

4. After you've done the entire seat. Take a hot shower with it (Really), that hot water really removes all the cleaning mixture residue from the grain of the upholstery.

5. Next use a good quality upholstery preservative to moisten it up with again because it will be very cloudy and pale looking, and very thirsty for any treatment you offer it. The first time I did it with red seats I thought i ruined them but as soon as i sprayed them with armore-all the color bounce right back and the sets looked brand new, (BRAND NEW).

Now I know armorall really shouldn't be used but I did'nt know that 30 years ago. There are better choices now.

If you have any questions PM me for further details ok?

mongoose

I'm going through the same thing now with my 67 Dart GT buckets. Bought the covers and foam for $685 over internet and it's going to cost me another 300-400 for someone to install. Wanted to do it myself but I removed the old covers myself and relized I don' think I have the talent to install the new covers myself and they are too expensive to screw up. My seats looked just like yours.
Now I found out one of my seat belt retractors is bad so thinking about going with an aftermarket.

I'm going through the same thing now with my 67 Dart GT buckets. Bought the covers and foam for $685 over internet and it's going to cost me another 300-400 for someone to install. Wanted to do it myself but I removed the old covers myself and relized I don' think I have the talent to install the new covers myself and they are too expensive to screw up. My seats looked just like yours.
Now I found out one of my seat belt retractors is bad so thinking about going with an aftermarket.

wow! over $1000 into a stock seat is just nuts... all that time and money and your stuck with a not very comfortable,non-reclining,no lumbar support set of seats. exactly what i spent the $800 for pro-car seats. man thet are comfortable great for long cruises.. :)

-
Back