-

GHOST RUSTERS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

1965 Barracuda 273 V8
All stock with 10” drums front and rear

I’m working on refreshing the front end/ suspension it has been heavily suggested to convert/ upgrade to the 11/16” c body tie rod sleeves and tie rod ends…

My question is, in doing so, do the remaining components (pitman arm, idler arm, center link) have to be changed as well or will the 11/16 tie rod ends taper fit into the stock center link? am I saying all of that correctly? Guess I’m asking if the taper is the same and will fit the stock equipment?

Simple as swapping in 11/16 tie rod ends and 11/16 tie rod sleeves? (I’ve read to go for the SOLID, not the split)

(Ive read the few threads but don’t see a confirmation on the 11/16 taper fitting with the existing center link)

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

IMG_9607.jpeg

Yes, the tapers are the same. You just swap out the ends and sleeves. Just make sure the lengths are correct. Some are longer the others.

Much appreciated that was quick and painless. Thank you for that! Any suggestions for a specific brand??

I've got older Moog stuff in mine, but I've read on here that new Moog parts suck. I'm not sure who else is making them. Proforged maybe? I'd bet a bunch of brands are all made in the same factory and just sold in different boxes.

I've got older Moog stuff in mine, but I've read on here that new Moog parts suck. I'm not sure who else is making them. Proforged maybe? I'd bet a bunch of brands are all made in the same factory and just sold in different boxes.
Now there’s a theory I agree with… I’ve always been suspicious of that for bulk tools… craftsman, harbor freight, Cornwell… haha a slippery slope.

Well I’ll do some more research but I appreciate the feedback and the help. Thanks!

You really don’t need to go to 11/16” tie rod ends if you just get rid of the OE style split sleeve tie rod adjuster.

The issue with the 9/16 tie rods isn’t the tie rod ends themselves, it’s the flex that comes from the split sleeve. If you upgrade to a tubular adjuster and ditch the split sleeve you can keep the 9/16” hardware.

I’ve had good luck so far with the Proforged brand, they are definitely not the same stuff as Moog which is completely garbage.

You really don’t need to go to 11/16” tie rod ends if you just get rid of the OE style split sleeve tie rod adjuster.

The issue with the 9/16 tie rods isn’t the tie rod ends themselves, it’s the flex that comes from the split sleeve. If you upgrade to a tubular adjuster and ditch the split sleeve you can keep the 9/16” hardware.

I’ve had good luck so far with the Proforged brand, they are definitely not the same stuff as Moog which is completely garbage.
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you! One thing I’m noticing, unless I’m mistaken, is that the 9/16 stuff seems to be more costly than the 11/16… which I cannot uncover why… but I certainly appreciate yours and everyone’s input and it gives me more to work with. I suppose a guy could clean up his existing 9/16 tie rods, get new boots and go with a solid adjuster as mentioned…

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you! One thing I’m noticing, unless I’m mistaken, is that the 9/16 stuff seems to be more costly than the 11/16… which I cannot uncover why… but I certainly appreciate yours and everyone’s input and it gives me more to work with. I suppose a guy could clean up his existing 9/16 tie rods, get new boots and go with a solid adjuster as mentioned…

If it’s cheaper to go 11/16” then I’d just do that, it certainly doesn’t hurt anything. But I’d still ditch the split sleeve adjusters.

I used all proforged parts when I rebuilt the front end a few years back, the parts seemed well made, everything fit well and I've had zero issues.

I can appreciate that. After discussing the details with everyone here and getting educated I decided to reach out to Peter at @BergmanAutoCraft and he took really good care of me.

I was embarrassed to admit my lack of knowledge and experience in particular to Mopars and he was patient enough to walk me through everything in detail and he is very knowledgeable and proud of his work and products. I ended up ordering his LCA reinforcement plates and his 11/16 solid sleeve tie rod kits which look VERY well built, hopefully they’ll be here this week as I’m excited to check them out and get them in.

I appreciate your feedback and good to know your experiences have worked well. Thanks for sharing! I’ll be in touch here if I have any further concerns. Thanks!

-
Back