170 dog

-
I bumped my initial up from 10 to 16 and made a real improvement. Every other fill up I do premium 87/91 and gained power with no pinging. Just a thought..Some go higher till it pings and then back off by 2.

I once had a daily driver with a 170 and a 3.2 rear. Not a drag car but it accelerated just fine!

Wow Thanks Guy's, $$ wise it sounds like its put a 225 in or move the gear ratio to 3.55 0r better.

I'm taking it all in... I do want this little car to look as stock as possible, so both ideas work well with that.

I keep trying to find a local "free slant". I know I used to toss them out, never was asked for one so I never kept them. I started asking last year, and almost to a person I get "I had one, but I tossed it 'cause nobody wanted it". sigh...lol.

I keep trying to find a local "free slant". I know I used to toss them out, never was asked for one so I never kept them. I started asking last year, and almost to a person I get "I had one, but I tossed it 'cause nobody wanted it". sigh...lol.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the one in our race car was given to us... a 1964 (forged crank) engine that had been sitting in a clean, dry, basement for 35 years, and had never had any machine work done to it.

I failed to O-Ring the block, though, and with significant boost in the plans, I KNOW I'll be sorry... :(

C'mon guys Rod bolts are cheap, and is like first thing you would do to a slant if you were to rev it. New K1 rods, 2.2 pistons, shaved heads. Not all hot motors have 50 year old parts still in them. Anyone throw a rod at high RPM's here? when did it happen? I hear 5500 for a 225 is somewhat of a redline but we are not talking a long stroke 225.

Maybe we should let oldguy45 tell us what his plan is for the car? Just something to drive around or full blown build pocket rocket?

C'mon guys Rod bolts are cheap, and is like first thing you would do to a slant if you were to rev it. New K1 rods, 2.2 pistons, shaved heads. Not all hot motors have 50 year old parts still in them. Anyone throw a rod at high RPM's here? when did it happen? I hear 5500 for a 225 is somewhat of a redline but we are not talking a long stroke 225.

well due to my ignorance when i built my motor in 09 i used the stock rodbolts... and well there still in there after 13,000 miles and around 100 6 grand passes lol...

first on the list to change after mats

Yeah I wasn't trying to be a smartass or call you out or anything but when I saw what you said I thought "oh jeez, that sounds like what a novice would read and call a plan and something a proffesional would read and call a guidline."

EDIT: I was on the novice end of the stick at one time btw...

Oh chitt,that's exactly what I did and my /6 ran most awesomest !!!:violent1::violent1::violent1:

Oh chitt,that's exactly what I did and my /6 ran most awesomest !!!:violent1::violent1::violent1:
Imagine how much more awesomely it would run if you CC'd the chambers and removed the appropriate material to have consistent compression between each cylinder. Not saying what you did doesn't work, or work well for that matter. But when you take you're times on these engines and do it "there way", "they" run better. V8 guys can get away with shaving x amount of meat of cylinder heads and make really decent gains out of it, but there engines are bigger. These engines, with there smaller discplacement can't hide missmatched parts or unbalanced CR's as well because they don't have the CI to do so.

Imagine how much more awesomely it would run if you CC'd the chambers and removed the appropriate material to have consistent compression between each cylinder.

unless you welded and/or ground on each chamber to get even CC's milling wont make them even... just smaller... but you are very correct on have a correct number to run off of...

V8 guys can get away with shaving x amount of meat of cylinder heads and make really decent gains out of it, but there engines are bigger. These engines, with there smaller discplacement can't hide missmatched parts or unbalanced CR's as well because they don't have the CI to do so.

i dont completely agree with this as they have to mill the intakes and alot wont do that... they just buy correct pistons (which we dont have the luxury by cost) and a smaller CID motor would be just as effected by of CR or spring pressures or balance as a big CID motor would... its just the closer you can keep everything to even the less resistance you have to fight to make power...

-
Back