174/177 supercharged small block, where to start?

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello. I would like to obtain parts to supercharge my 318...I posted a wanted ad for this type of blower...My brother has a small block chevy setup but will not sell me the one he has stored for years, so it will just sit under his bench...Bummer...

A few things maybe you guys can help me...

-I am new to the forced induction world...Completely new..lol and I have "The Do-it-yourself guide to Street supercharging" book I have been reading.

I *think* I would like to stay with the smaller superchargers like the B&M and Weiand 174/177 units. From my understanding those are a little more user friendly for the beginner, as apposed to the more involved multi carbed, more boost capable 6-71 units. I don't want to go crazy, just 6 or 7 PSI of boost to my Naturally Aspirated 300HP 318...

What are your guy's thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Looking forward to getting....boosted....lol

something like this.

blownsmallblock.jpg

Supercharged360.jpg

Hot Rod's Pat Ganahl,did a test of all these little blowers in 1984.Landry had a kit,was eventually discontinued.Hard to find,big bucks.Check out the Mod Man manifold for mounting,top end wise.A typical mild small block build ,would bring 80 to 125 hp wise@5 to 7 lbs boost.The fun is the insane torque curve,while being streetable.On Landry,meant Landy ,by the way

Try Dwyers or BDS for help in parts.

I honestly didn't know they still made them things. Were always cool back in the day.
Posting up pics when you get going on it?

The Blower Shop, has a complete 174 kit for a bb chevy listed under their used section for 1500. They are 5 hours from you. Buy it without the manifold or with the manifold and sell the manifold on Ebag.
They might be able to make an adaptor plate for the Mod Man Manifold and adapt the chevy crank pulley to mate up to a Mopar.
I bought an all billet 8-71 from them and am happy with their products and customer service.

Okay guys thanks alot. I will check out that Indy Mod Man intake. Seems like an easier solution.

Anyone know of a good dealer for those?

MiradaMegaCab, I have my eye on that polished 174 kit from BDS. I'm thinking of springing for that, lol. I will call them tomorrow and talk to them about it...Maybe they will sell just the blower. Maybe not. lol

I'll ask about the plate and the pulleys. Thank you for the help. More comments welcome..

-James

Seen a brand new NOS one sell on ebay not long ago for about $2,600.

Whenever I see that setup I think of the Jim Henn Nova that use to run around So. Cal. no trailer and running 10.00's at 135mph. Jim was running that blower and nitrous on a small block Chevy in an early Nova, total sleeper! You can google the name and probably find some info on the car and motor.

Here is that ebay one, guess it was a little smaller than what you're looking for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-M-Blower-...OD41TcZjr3iTzIHw84mt1wQ=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Seems that that blower didnt actually sell on Ebag.

Thanks Zhandfull for posting a link!

MoparDude, print and look over those pics real close for lower pulley and lower pulley adaptor ideas!!

The 162 will provide 6PSI easily on a 318

Seems that that blower didnt actually sell on Ebag.

Thanks Zhandfull for posting a link!

MoparDude, print and look over those pics real close for lower pulley and lower pulley adaptor ideas!!

The 162 will provide 6PSI easily on a 318

Thanks..Will do...If it didnt sell on Ebay..then where is it!? LOL. I called the blower shop this morning, asked them about these blowers...

of course, he says they no longer make them. parts are hard to get. be real careful when buying a used one...they wont make an adapter plate for the mod man manifold to adapt this blower...and wont make any special pulleys. they also wont separate that Rebuilt 174 B&M unit. gotta buy the whole chevy kit for $1500..

the search continues...

Buy the kit! They list a 174 blower with a 9 3/4" snout. That's what I have for my sb Mopar. Get the Mod Man Intake and sell the chevy intake.

That's cheap!These blowers cost that new,20-25 years ago.Sounds like a steal,compared to 2500 to 3000 of cheese,for a carb'd Paxton kit.

Some helpful dimensions from my 174.....

4 7/8" from the front drivers side intake manifold bolt to the front blower retaining bolt. Center to center measurements.

8 1/4" from the front drivers side intake manifold bolt to the front of the 6rib pulley on the snout.

The snout is 9 3/4 long.

The blower is 14 9/16" long.

The center to center blower mounting bolt pattern is 11 1/2" long

The width of the blower retaining bolt pattern is 5 1/2" wide

The blower height is 6"

Just as a side note Jim Henn passed away in july of 2007 in a Jeep accident off road. He owned and built that Nova that had the 174 blower with a plate kit. He participated in the first pump gas drags in 2004 and had an issue with his first pass, otherwise he would have placed in the top ten, and he drove it 2700 miles to and from the event. The car ran high nines regularly and was his daily driver to his work at TRD. Not to mention the feature in Hot Rod. He also was a regular at Irwindale dragstrip. He later replaced it with a big block Chevelle on the juice. RIP Jim.

The MOD man doesn't accept the blower by itself?

Some helpful dimensions from my 174.....

4 7/8" from the front drivers side intake manifold bolt to the front blower retaining bolt. Center to center measurements.

8 1/4" from the front drivers side intake manifold bolt to the front of the 6rib pulley on the snout.

The snout is 9 3/4 long.

The blower is 14 9/16" long.

The center to center blower mounting bolt pattern is 11 1/2" long

The width of the blower retaining bolt pattern is 5 1/2" wide

The blower height is 6"

Thank you for the measurements.. Max wedge performance also gave me the same measurements...Currently, the readily available supercharger that is available new that will work with those is the Weiand 174 big block chevy unit...

Going this route almost puts me in the used 6-71 territory! LOL
http://www.holley.com/7741-1.asp

Attachments

• 174 chevy kit.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,620
I used a 6:71 on my 301 Chevy many years ago which was awesome yet in this day and age with the technology we have today, there are way better setups in which to go fast than to impress your gas station attendant of whats under your hood.

Well, what do used 6-71s go for?
I seen one go for around $3500 or so..

I used a 6:71 on my 301 Chevy many years ago which was awesome yet in this day and age with the technology we have today, there are way better setups in which to go fast than to impress your gas station attendant of whats under your hood.

:D:D

-
Back