174/177 supercharged small block, where to start?

-
I seen one go for around $3500 or so..

Used? For $3500 you can buy a brand new 6-71 Blower Kit for a Small Block Mopar from Dyers Blowers. That's everything. The Blower, Intake, Snout/Drive, Pulleys and the hardware to install it. (you pick the psi/boost you want, belt width and style and how many grooves you need on the v-belt pulleys and they build a drive assembly to match your order)

You supply the engine and intake manifold gaskets, of course :D

Dyers now has the specs for a 3-Groove SBM Pulley (as well as 1 groove and 2 groove pulleys), because I ordered that for my '74 Duster. I was the first person to ever order a 6-71 Blower for a 340 with Power Steering & Air Conditioning. I had to send in my old 3-groove pulley so they could build my order since they didn't have the specs on file for such a creature.

Used? For $3500 you can buy a brand new 6-71 Blower Kit for a Small Block Mopar from Dyers Blowers. That's everything. The Blower, Intake, Snout/Drive, Pulleys and the hardware to install it. (you pick the psi/boost you want, belt width and style and how many grooves you need on the v-belt pulleys and they build a drive assembly to match your order)

You supply the engine and intake manifold gaskets, of course :D

Dyers now has the specs for a 3-Groove SBM Pulley (as well as 1 groove and 2 groove pulleys), because I ordered that for my '74 Duster. I was the first person to ever order a 6-71 Blower for a 340 with Power Steering & Air Conditioning. I had to send in my old 3-groove pulley so they could build my order since they didn't have the specs on file for such a creature.

Thats what I was thinkin. LOL

However, I would like to stay with the smaller displacement blowers. :) If ya got pics of your setup, I'd like to see it anyhow.

The 6-71 blowers take about 75HP to turn at 6000RPMs.
The B+M 144, 162s take 25 to 30HP to turn at the same RPMs.

If your running 6PSI of boost, the B+M will have moree RWHP due to less parasitic drag and frictional losses.

These are Roots blowers and make HP/TQ instantly.
The B+M does provide alittle more TQ in the low RPM band over a 6-71.
In your case of a mildly built 318, the B+M will out perform the 71 series blowers.

The centrifugal superchargers are more efficiant than any Roots blower.

But nothing says, "Look at me!", like a 6-71 poking out of the hood.

I've had my B&M blower since 1988 when I bought it off of Dick Landy. I've had very little problems with it and my car has run a best of 11.54 1/4 mile with it.

Attachments

• Dart Engine 2 LR.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,322
  • Dart Engine 1 LR.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,080
Very cool! What sort of problems have you had? Which size blower do you have? The gentleman selling the unit on ebay isnt sure which one he has, 144, or 162...Is there a way to tell, by blower case measurements? the only numbers he can find are: C1A59 & 12902.

Thanks for the info thus far, everyone.

The 144 is 12.81" long and has a 9.71" bolt pattern.
The 162 is 13.91" long and has a 10.81" bolt pattern.
The 174 is 14.62" long and has a 11.51 bolt pattern.

All are 5.92" high.

Very cool! What sort of problems have you had? Which size blower do you have? The gentleman selling the unit on ebay isnt sure which one he has, 144, or 162...Is there a way to tell, by blower case measurements? the only numbers he can find are: C1A59 & 12902.

Thanks for the info thus far, everyone.

Actually I've had very little trouble. The only problem I've had is the seal behind the pulley popped out on me and got lube all over the place. I replaced it and haven't had any further issues. The blower is a 174 and the intake is a modified Offenhauser dual quad that had the supercharger flange welded in place of the original flange by Dick Landy himself (actually got to talk to him in 1988 when I bought the blower from him for $2200.00). The good thing about this setup is I got the bigger 174 case blower for the small block, the bad thing is that the manifold is not a low profile like the original, hense the fiberglass sixpack hood.

Is the original low profile b&m designed fit under a stock or 3" six pack fiberglass hood in my 67 barracuda?
I have a line on an original b&m still in box that I'm thinking of picking up, just not sure if it will fit under the hood. Also what the going price of one?

Attachments

• f4.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,055
Is the original low profile b&cm designed fit under a stock or 3" six pack fiberglass hood in my 67 barracuda?
I have a line on an original b&m still in box that I'm thinking of picking up, just not sure if it will fit under the hood. Also what the going price of one?

As far as I know that was the original intent but you never know about Mopar applications. My manifold is not low profile because it's originally an Offenhauser dual quad that was modified for the blower. If you have an open six pack scoop on the hood it should fit. I use a low profile air cleaner on a 850 double pumper and it fits, close but it does fit. The best thing is that when you look into the scoop it looks like you only have a highrise manifold and the blower doesn't make any noise until you're making boost.

Actually I've had very little trouble. The only problem I've had is the seal behind the pulley popped out on me and got lube all over the place. I replaced it and haven't had any further issues.

:thumblef:Nice ride!!

A cost saving tip for all, use Chicago Rawhide seals as an alternative.

CR-9876 are for the front rotor bearing seals, 2 req'd
CR-9854 are for the rear rotor bearing seals, 2 req'd
CR-12531 are for the snout/nose by the pulley.

Do you think 2K for a complete kit is a good deal?

Depends on if it is ready to run or needs to be freshened up. Being used I would always assume it's going to need work unless stated otherwise. Two thousand seems to be close to the going rate +/-$500

If you find one that needs work I'm sure it is not going to be cheap or easy to find parts. Keep that in mind when deciding how much to spend on a unknown unit.

:thumblef:Nice ride!!

A cost saving tip for all, use Chicago Rawhide seals as an alternative.

CR-9876 are for the front rotor bearing seals, 2 req'd
CR-9854 are for the rear rotor bearing seals, 2 req'd
CR-12531 are for the snout/nose by the pulley.
Thanks MiradaMegaCab

That would be a NOS set up.

Yes I think 2K is a fair price for a small block mopar roots type blower kit as shown above, That is unless you can find one for less.:D Apparently some of these are from at least as far back as 1988, almost 25 years old. So with that being said. It's possible even an NOS unit might need some seals replaced before being put in service. Although it is a somewhat rare unit I think the price is going to be capped by the new cost of a more efficient centrifugal unit that has less hood clearance problems. Kind of gets down to if your going to spend 2K on a 25 year old part or spend 3K on a new arguably more efficient supercharger with a warranty.

If you have a hood scoop already I like simplicity of these little B&M blowers.

In my opinion, I like these little blowers better. They just look NEAT! And from what I've been reading, perform great, and have wonderful torque at lower RPMs! The centrifugal unit definitely fits under a stock hood, and they are a bit more efficient. :)

-
Back