174/177 supercharged small block, where to start?

-
this fan works great and i have less space then you do i think,,flex a lite fan if i rememebr ,,jegs or summit 29 bucks,

Attachments

• fstfish66 digitial oct 2007 028.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,030
  • fstfish66 digitial oct 2007 029.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 935
  • fstfish66 digitial oct 2007 030.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 928
List the B&M injection on ebag for ***** and giggles. Somebody might be willing to pay big bucks for an outdated period correct part.

List the B&M injection on ebag for ***** and giggles. Somebody might be willing to pay big bucks for an outdated period correct part.

Sorry, I worded it wrong, it's not mine. I found these pictures online in the chevy forums. I never knew such a thing existed. lol

I can see why- especially if you're a Chevy or Ford guy.
"Effect of spark advance on engine power" chart would be cool to see.
They also show what changing heads and cam does to a blown app

i was bidding on it, and got as far as 85 bucks. lol I just wanted to read the damn thing is all....would be nice to have a copy or PDF file of that thing. too bad.

Your snout is 10.75" long?

You can get a shorter one and that will bring your lower pulley closer to the engine. The further away the pulley is, the more stress will be put on your crankshaft.

IDK, the snout with shaft is around $400 and the elect fans will be pricey too.

Okay, for now I skipped the whole electric fan idea and got a shorter snout at 9 3/4". It should work now. LOL

Minor update. Here's the 1" shorter snout installed on the blower. Now I have to machine 1" off the blower pulley spacer. :blob:

After months of saving little by little, and a 10% off coupon from summit, I finally was able to purchase the Felpro 1008 head gaskets, a Holley 750 supercharger carb, the MSD 6BTM ignition box, and ARP intake bolts.

Next big thing on the list is the Water/Methanol injection system.

WOW, just discovered this thread.

Back in the late 90s I wanted a B&M kit but they were unavailable by the time I had the money so I bought a NOS Chev 162 kit and sold the intake and cam kit off to a Chev bloke. Then I went and had a chat to a cluey old bloke with an interest in casting intake manifolds. I gave him the blower and a wad of cash and he cast me an intake and machined up some 8mm Gilmer pulleys (50mm wide) to suit. Basically all I had to do was add a carby and bolt it on.

I put the set up on a low comp 360 that I built up. It was pretty basic, just a set of dished TRW forged pistons with a stock crank and rods and some ARP rod bolts. The heads were mildly ported J-heads with 2.02 inlets and Crane valve springs. The first cam I tried was a baby 218 @ 0.050 generic performance cam and with the pulleys set up for 6psi boost it ran a 12.8 at 106mph on slicks. Changing the pulleys to give it maximum overdrive (well over 100%, I think it was 2.12:1 ratio) we made about 7psi boost and I slid in a split profile cam with more duration on the exhaust. Can't remember the exact specs but it seemed to help and the car ran 12.7 at 108mph on pure 235 street tyres.

The rest of the car was prett basic too. Just an Aussie Charger with a A-999, stock converter and 3.5 geared nine-inch diff. It was pretty damn heavy because I didn't try to lighten it at all. It was a real street and strip machine and never saw a car trailer. I'd cruise it every weekend and race it at the local tracks most weeks just for fun. It would do a 300km roadtrip, race and drive home without even blinking. The blower was ultra reliable and the engine never missed a beat. but I did kill two nine-inch centers and two transmissions (inc a 727).

Then I had a brain fart and figured that if a B&M was this good, a 6/71 would be better and while I'm at it, build a lighter car. The 6/71 car was nowhere near as fun. Sure it had power and looked impressive, but it didn't have the instant bottom end zing of the little blower and you were always on display wherever you went.

I stupidly sold the B&M kit for $3500 (cost me $6000 to put together) and never liked the 6/71 and shortly after sold it too.

If I do it again I'm going to build one based off a 250 Powercharger (or 256 Weiand). The low blowers rule!

5414_1190583213713_7446821_n.jpg

6534_1189891556422_6560138_n.jpg

and some video
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJGw10PFERU"]Blown charger - YouTube[/ame]

Nice setup, BlownHemi!
I think you're talking about Bill Laney casting the manifold.
What belt is in the pic? (16 rib?)

Nice setup, BlownHemi!
I think you're talking about Bill Laney casting the manifold.
What belt is in the pic? (16 rib?)

Yep, Bill Laney is awesome and a hell of a nice guy. Bill told me once he showed his Chrysler small block intake the guys weiand but they offered him Mexican money for the intakes so he basically made the to order for whoever wanted them and was willing to pay. Bill did both my B&M intake and my 6/71 setup. I haven't talked to him for a years I hope he's still with us. The belt is 50mm wide but use an 8mm Gilmer style pitch, it's not a sepentine multi rib. This means a pop-off plate had to be added to the back of the intake to protect against backfires. The 162 was marginal for the 360. A 174 is the way to go, but the 250 would be awesome. How do you know of Bill?

It was 1250 plus 250 shipping.

ProComp is casting sb ford 6-71manifolds and were planning on casting sb Mopar blower manifolds.

They have yet to release and details on them....

If Pro Comp is any relation to Pro Comp in Australia I wouldn't use anything with their name on it.

Here's the 6/71 set-up that Bill also did for me. It was in a 1965 AP6 Ute but the because it was an early A-body everything was a tight fit and the big blower made the car the center of attention everywhere it went. Which is cool at shows but painful on the street. I tired of it quickly and didn't even bother racing it before I pulled it apart and sold it.

5414_1190583093710_3596907_n.jpg

5414_1190583053709_1831205_n.jpg

Someone possibly making Rootes SBM manifolds? That would be cool.

hampton makes intakes for the small block mopar using a 6.71,, u can buy them thru big als toy box last price i heard was 1200,,and no blow off valve built in,,, i had a dyers intake made from a offfy 4 bbl with a blow off valve,,,shame dyers doesnt make intakes any longer,,,

hampton makes intakes for the small block mopar using a 6.71,, u can buy them thru big als toy box last price i heard was 1200,,and no blow off valve built in,,, i had a dyers intake made from a offfy 4 bbl with a blow off valve,,,shame dyers doesnt make intakes any longer,,,

When did Dyers top making blower manifolds? That's hard to believe. I guess I will hold onto mine now. Which manifold are you running?

When did Dyers top making blower manifolds? That's hard to believe. I guess I will hold onto mine now. Which manifold are you running?

gary dyer stopped the blower busniess and went to making connecting rods,,,he now is back in the blower busniess,,, but doent make manifolds he sells the hampton intake or tells u where to buy one,, he sells parts and services blowers again just doesnt make his own intakes any longer,, i had a dyers intake on my 340 recently sold the car

gary dyer stopped the blower busniess and went to making connecting rods,,,he now is back in the blower busniess,,, but doent make manifolds he sells the hampton intake or tells u where to buy one,, he sells parts and services blowers again just doesnt make his own intakes any longer,, i had a dyers intake on my 340 recently sold the car

Wow, can't believe you sold the'66! I guess it was time.

For anyone interested, here's a couple of pics of my ol' Dyers/Offenhauser blower manifold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 574
-
Back