17x8 sbp Kelsey Hayes disk on a Duster.

-

Dezduster

Reaction score
I'm asking for advice on tires sizes and offset for front and rear on 17x8" wheel that I'm having custom spaced which I am also asking for suggestions. The wheels I'm going with are the T/A superlite, I know they aren't super light . John who is partner to the owner in Australia sent me one wheel with a ding in it that he back spaced to 5.250" which seems to work very well on the front, the rear needs less back space and luckily I have 3" studs so it is easier to adjust and measure. I believe a 245-45-will clear the front and look correct but will a 255 45 fit any suggestions if you would assist.

KIMG1403~2.JPG

I'm asking for advice on tires sizes and offset for front and rear on 17x8" wheel that I'm having custom spaced which I am also asking for suggestions. The wheels I'm going with are the T/A superlite, I know they aren't super light . John who is partner to the owner in Australia sent me one wheel with a ding in it that he back spaced to 5.250" which seems to work very well on the front, the rear needs less back space and luckily I have 3" studs so it is easier to adjust and measure. I believe a 245-45-will clear the front and look correct but will a 255 45 fit any suggestions if you would assist.

View attachment 1716280874

So I'm not super familiar with the spacing on the SBP stuff, just because all of my stuff is BBP and most folks that want to upgrade to wheels like that are already BBP. But the only real difference is the change in track width, although that's pretty substantial.

Given that the difference in track width is over a 1/2" per side vs BBP I'd say that the 17x8 with a 5.25" backspace is probably pretty close to the maximum backspace you'd be able to run. I would definitely check your clearance between the rim and suspension parts like the UCA's and outer tie rod ends. The UCA can be an issue at full suspension extension and steering lock. The outer tie rod end will be close, and you'll want to make sure you have clearance to the caliper and upper ball joint.

With that said, I think you'll be able to run with the 255/45/17's on the front. They're right at 26" tall, so, the issue that might come up is clearance to the lower front corner of the fender. You may need to trim back the inside lip at that corner, and fully extend (or add some extension) to the bumper to fender brace. Maybe not, but it's a possibility. But outside of that, the width should be fine with the backspace that you have.

Encouraging, at full extension it just barely touched the upper a arm at full lock with the factory A arms.

Encouraging, at full extension it just barely touched the upper a arm at full lock with the factory A arms.

Yeah I thought you'd be pretty close to the limit there with a 17x8" and that backspace. Normally I'd say that a tubular UCA would solve the issue, but you're SBP so that doesn't leave you much in the way of options for tubular UCA's.

You can just run a bit less backspace than 5.25" though. 255's are the best you'll do up front on 17's, so given how much track width is gained by going BBP I'd say you can probably go with a 17x8 with a 5" backspace and still run the 255/45/17 if you stay SBP. That should gain enough space to clear the UCA and just using some math between the BBP and SBP tracks you should still be inside of the 275/35/18's I run on my Duster on the fender side as well.

I’d recommend getting a tire on the rim while you check for backspace clearance etc. once you fit a tire that may change everything drastically too.

Also, I’m curious do the wheels you have/are getting have exactly a 5 x 4" bolt pattern?

I’d recommend getting a tire on the rim while you check for backspace clearance etc. once you fit a tire that may change everything drastically too.

Also, I’m curious do the wheels you have/are getting have exactly a 5 x 4" bolt pattern?
They make a 17x8 blank.
1721926519387.png

17x8-12 BLANK SUPERLITE(NOT DRILLED) SILVER with MACHINED LIP
These wheels are -12 offset (4" b/s) and can be machined to +20 offset (5.1/4"b/s) and drilled to most 4 or 5 stud patterns
Also available in 10x5.5, 13x5.5, 13x6, 13x7,14x6,15x6, 15x7 ,15x8 , 15x10, 16x7,16x8,17x7

>>>>>>>>>>>All wheels machined and drilled included in the price.

Price: 17x8 $375 ea or $1500 set of 4 wheels
Freight at buyers expense

Last edited:
Interesting. They drill the final pattern too? Mag nut style or acorn? And how much is one wheel completely done.
lol, did you read the fine print? Don't know about the nuts. Shipping from Aus. may be pricey.

I think that post wasn’t up yet as was typing mine. They are only a few minutes apart.

So, 1500 Aussie bucks or usa bucks?

Yes it's being machined for five on four inch.

They make a 17x8 blank.
View attachment 1716281040
17x8-12 BLANK SUPERLITE(NOT DRILLED) SILVER with MACHINED LIP
These wheels are -12 offset (4" b/s) and can be machined to +20 offset (5.1/4"b/s) and drilled to most 4 or 5 stud patterns
Also available in 10x5.5, 13x5.5, 13x6, 13x7,14x6,15x6, 15x7 ,15x8 , 15x10, 16x7,16x8,17x7

>>>>>>>>>>>All wheels machined and drilled included in the price.

Price: 17x8 $375 ea or $1500 set of 4 wheels
Freight at buyers expense
Those are what I'm getting and will be machined to my specs.

-
Back