1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Have a friend with a 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe with a 218 straight six flathead. The car is in need of some carburetor help. I'm not sure if it's a 1-bbl or a 2-bbl unit. He took the car to a restoration shop that "did the best we could". Unfortunately, that wasn't good enough. Is there other carburetor options for him? Perhaps something from a newer model slant6 possibly? Any advice?

Ray.jpg

Well it will make a difference if you need a 1bbl or a 2bbl. Look down the hole and let us know.

It's a Carter 1 barrel likely. It's a 1 barrel of "some kind". If a "restoration shop" couldn't get a 1 barrel right, they need to close the doors.

Yeah, looks like it's a Carter Ball and Ball D6H2 carburetor. It could be a D6P2. Very simple.

We had two of these when I was in high school. One was a four-door and one was a two-door. To be exact , I believe it is a 217.8 cubic inch engine with a one barrel carburetor. I used to turn that four-door Any Way but Loose. I believe it had 391 gears and a nice low and second gear. I could beat my buddies off the line and through the first two gears but then they went right on by me. The good old days.

Check and see if a one barrel carburetor from a slant 6 could be mounted on it.

Friend of mine has a '42 Special Deluxe with a Carter Ball and Ball that was always had to start. Carb had previous been rebuild by someone but when we tore it down found it wasn't done right and I think some of the check balls were missing or in the wrong spot. Rebult the rest of the fuel system too (tank, lines, pump) and now it starts right up even after sitting a while.

Original carb would have been a one barrel. A slant six carb will fit and work well, but will sit lower than the OEM flathead six carb. I ran one on my 49 Dodge for years, eventually replaced it with dual two barrel Holley/Webers (or something similar, can't remember for sure). I put the dual carbs on for looks, but they noticeably added power, too.

Can't remember what year slant six carb I used, but I believe it was an early one. Factory 49 Dodge linkage hooked up to it with no modification. Later slant six carbs I think have a different linkage and might be harder to hook up.

Or get a professional to rebuild an original carb. The restoration shop your friend took his car to obviously has no clue about early mopar carburetors.

My buddy just texted me, the car is going back to the shop Monday! We shall see. Thanks for the input/suggestions.

-
Back