1954 Dodge Truck

-

340mopar

Sorgermotorsports
Reaction score
This is my 16 year old son Keith's truck that I bought him for his 15th birthday on ebay for $500. The first pic is of the truck on his 15th birthday 3/14/06. At this stage it was mounted on a '64 Dodge D100 short bed chassis and was really not done very well. There was a lot of "hillbilly" engineering. The second pic is later in the year when he started to disassembly so we can start from square one.

The last pics are of the of the completed truck. When I say completed I mean he is driving but like any rig it is never completed. I asked him to find in progress pics that I can post, but in the mean time I will list how the truck is now.

Keith has done most of the work himself. I did the important items like mounting the cab and bed, installing the steering column, steering shaft and installing the firewall mounted brake/clutch pedal and hydraulic clutch but the rest Keith did.

Chassis: 1985 W350 w/ 4.10 gears
Engine: 1975 225 out of a Scamp
Trans/transfer case: NP435/NP208 out of a 1985 Forest Service truck
Engine wiring harness: 1971 Dart
Under dash wiring warness: 1971 Dart
Heater: 1964 D100
Steering Column: 1975 Scamp
Radiator: 1970 Dart
Gauges: 1956 Dodge truck
Seat: 1971 Dart
Bed: Same bed that came with truck just lengthened 24"
Carb: 1970 Dart

This thing with the 4.10 axles combined with the NP 435 low gear and the 2.80:1 low range on the transfer case is just a crawler. You can let out the clutch and climb out of the truck and it will idle across our field slower than you can walk.

next order of business is some body work and some type of grill.

I know this isn't an A-body but Keith is pretty proud of it so he wanted me to post it. I am pretty proud of him too, I amazes me that he wired this thing himself at his age. Every circuit in the harness works, signals, hazards, heater, headlights, gauges, all of it. I don't think I could have done it at his age.

Thanks,

Chuck

1954 Dodge Right Side March 14, 2006.jpg

Cab Sept.4 2006.jpg

100_0500.jpg

100_0501.jpg

100_0502.jpg

Alot of work....nice job. If ya gotta work ya might as well do it with style.

Yea, Keith ask to use the /6 because it sounds like a diesel 6 as far as exhaust tone. It at first was straight stacked but after I drove it once I said it was time to tone it down some. The rusty section of the stacks are glasspack blanks spliced into the stacks. It helped take some of the "raspyness" out of the exhaust but still has the sound he wanted.

Chuck

Very nice! You should be both proud. You of your son, and your son of the truck. Well done.

Is Keith thinking about doing a Cummins Turbo Deisel sometime in the future?

Joe

I love trucks!! and I think your son has a dandy.=D>
It looks like a 4x4 monster.
You have been blest with a great son and the same go's for him. Dad.
Ya ! not to many young men can say they did a 54 dodge truck with his dad at his age.
He will always be a dodge man.:thumblef:

That 54 body would look nice on a ramcharger chassis ,
And my favorite color too. :toothy4:
If I was to see one like that for sale !! My e-brake would come on and check it out.. :thumbrig:
Keep us updated on Keith's 54 dodge truck.
That truck sure suits my fancy. Job well dun Keith.

Joe, he is, we are thinking of using a 4BT instead of the 6 because the engine compartment is not very long, I had to make clearance for the /6 plus we are not after a super power house. I figure I can get about 150-175hp out of a 4BT.

Chuck

-
Back