1960 Marvin Panch Valiant stock car

-

66valiant273Sig

Valiant Man
Reaction score
Hello to everyone on FABO, I recently joined and thought that some of you might like to see my model of the 1960 Marvin Panch Valiant stock car. The model is based on an original smp kit that I modified to look like a Valiant V100 verses the V200 as it came. I also made light covers for front and back, Bungee cords tie downs for the hood and trunk. I also removed the bottom turn single lights and removed the passenger side windshield wiper and re shaped the bottom of the windshield frame. The Decals are off ebay from a place called slot car fever.

Attachments

• 2015 car pics 299.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 594
  • 2015 car pics 300.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 518
  • 2015 car pics 302.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 558
  • 2015 car pics 303.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 536
  • 2015 car pics 304.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 2015 car pics 305.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 536
  • 2015 car pics 306.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 510
Very cool! I have seen this in person and it is very nicely done...as well as many other kits he has built....some sweet stuff!

Welcome to FABO! that is really neat! Love the detail. I want to build a real life replica of this car someday.

DANG!!! that's cool!! i'm just bout ready for topcoat on my 62 lancer.

for what little I can findout, my car was used as pace car for dirt track at Wentzville, Mo. wayyy back, it also has a plaque glued to the dash stating it was participant on the road race there back in like early 70's. it had the remains of 2 way radio, antenna hole in trunk, 2 slots on top of front fenders, ( for flags I assume?).... etc
wow! I like that model!

Very cool! I have seen this in person and it is very nicely done...as well as many other kits he has built....some sweet stuff!

Thanks Keith....maybe someday you will get the bug to start building again, I know It took me a good 10 years to get back into building models.

DANG!!! that's cool!! i'm just bout ready for topcoat on my 62 lancer.

for what little I can findout, my car was used as pace car for dirt track at Wentzville, Mo. wayyy back, it also has a plaque glued to the dash stating it was participant on the road race there back in like early 70's. it had the remains of 2 way radio, antenna hole in trunk, 2 slots on top of front fenders, ( for flags I assume?).... etc
wow! I like that model!

Thank you, this car was fun for me to build cause I used to own A 62 v200 valiant station wagon. Every since I've owned an early A body I've been Drawn to them, think they are just a neat little car. Your Lancer sounds very interesting with its racing history, very neat. Do you have any Pictures of it on FABO?

I like it, I wonder where the real car is?
Here is mine, I built it around 20 years ago now.
I scratch built all the details and the decals!

Attachments

• HyperPacSide.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 471
  • HyperPacF.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 473
I like it, I wonder where the real car is?
Here is mine, I built it around 20 years ago now.
I scratch built all the details and the decals!

Very nice work there, That is really neat! I also wonder where the real car ended up, or any of the stock car valiants for that matter? I built My Marvin Panch Valiant for a 60's stock car club challenge that The Model car club I'm in is having. I dig how you have your hood open with the Hyper pak. I have a Ross Gibson Hyper Pak engine that I'm going to build and put on a engine stand next to the Valiant.

Thanks Valiant Man. I built my intake with a clay mold and then filled the mold with epoxy resin. This is before I found a intake in an older AMT kit! I know Richard Petty crashed his at Daytona before the weekend was over. Good luck with your model contest!

Thats one you don't see often..........The car as a model I mean..... Jo-Hans kit?

NICE work on the decals!

Thanks Keith....maybe someday you will get the bug to start building again, I know It took me a good 10 years to get back into building models.

This winter I will find something to build....really need to get back into it :glasses7:

Thanks Valiant Man. I built my intake with a clay mold and then filled the mold with epoxy resin. This is before I found a intake in an older AMT kit! I know Richard Petty crashed his at Daytona before the weekend was over. Good luck with your model contest!

Very nice work on the Hyper pak, do you happen to have any close up pics of the leaning tower of power itself? That is correct that Richard Petty crashed his valiant on the second race of the 1960 race series, which actually led to Marvin Panch's victory. Panch was a lap down from the beginning of the race cause they didn't make the to the start in time. Panch made up the lap because of the crash involving Richard Petty. Thanks, I will put some new pics up after the hyper pak engine is done and detailed.

Thats one you don't see often..........The car as a model I mean..... Jo-Hans kit?

NICE work on the decals!

Thank you, yes the decals were probably the most challenging part of the build. The kit is actually an SMP release, a company that was bought by AMT. I was lucky to find one on Ebay from a guy in Canada. It had been painted once but stripped of well from the previous owner. Only thing missing was the dash and the steering wheel, which I got new in resin along with the front and rear bumper from Modelhaus.

Attachments

• valiant 001.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 397
  • valiant 002.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 421
  • valiant 003.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 416
Here is a picture of the engine on the dyno and Marvin's engine.

Attachments

• factory-hyper.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 601
  • HyperPakValEng.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 415
Here is a picture of the engine on the dyno and Marvin's engine.

Thanks Hyper Pak, There are not many Pictures of the Hyper Pak out There. Of course there weren't many made and sold in the first place. Here is what I have to work with. A Ross Gibson resin motor, which I will have to use parts of the lindberg slant six to make correct. One thing is the block itself, the one that comes in the Gibson kit is the aluminum block not the cast iron block. That and going to make a set of split exhaust manifolds like found in the real Hyper Paks.

Attachments

• Hyper pak 002.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 383
Here are the exhaust manifolds!
And the dyno picture, the other one was a promo picture.

Attachments

• DSCN0076.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 385
  • dyno_aluminum_slant_six.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 349
Yes the dyno shows the linkage and how the manifolds bolt together. Also the super rare aircleaner. If I remember this might have been an aluminum motor.

Yes the dyno shows the linkage and how the manifolds bolt together. Also the super rare aircleaner. If I remember this might have been an aluminum motor.

Yeah it could've been an aluminum one, I do recall hearing somewhere that they did do a few 170 cubic inch aluminum blocks before the 225 one went into its brief production. If the massive intake manifold and split exhaust manifolds were not in the way you could tell for sure if it is an aluminum one or not. Who knows this one could even be one of the few aluminum heads that they tried messing around with for a short go.

-
Back