1963 426 stgII max wedge

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like this post, lots of info. No matter which way you slice it>>>>>>that's ONE BAD A$$ MOTOR!!!!! I've always loved the exhaust manifolds on these motors also, just total bad A$$. Bump and good luck with the sale...............I'm going to call a friend that sold a real car that didn't have a motor. Maybe that guy would be interested.

RRsavoy made a lot of good points with a lot of good info, it actually made me and dad go back thru our vast collection of TSB's and HP service manuals from chrysler. The date code stamp is still up in the air for me to confirm exactly how to read it but regardless this engine is what it is. As far as the SA carbs the stgIII carbs all had SA in their numbers and though I cannot find any definate designation as to the SA on my carbs I personally have never seen a set outside the pics posted of a set of carbs without the SA in the number. I even pulled another set of carbs off the shelf from my 63 Fury and thos too have SA on them, hard to believe all of these were replacements, not arguing just saying.
Thanks for all the replies and interest, if anyone knows of someone that might be interested I would appreciate them sending them my way.

PS if this engine didnt spark enough interest just wait to see what I advertise next...

RRsavoy made a lot of good points with a lot of good info, it actually made me and dad go back thru our vast collection of TSB's and HP service manuals from chrysler. The date code stamp is still up in the air for me to confirm exactly how to read it but regardless this engine is what it is. As far as the SA carbs the stgIII carbs all had SA in their numbers and though I cannot find any definate designation as to the SA on my carbs I personally have never seen a set outside the pics posted of a set of carbs without the SA in the number. I even pulled another set of carbs off the shelf from my 63 Fury and thos too have SA on them, hard to believe all of these were replacements, not arguing just saying.
Thanks for all the replies and interest, if anyone knows of someone that might be interested I would appreciate them sending them my way.

PS if this engine didnt spark enough interest just wait to see what I advertise next...

I can't wait to see what you post next!

As far as the carbs, what date is on them? I can't tell from that picture. I have two sets, one E2 (May '62) and the set I posted the picture of H2 (Aug '62) and both are 3447S. Lots to learn about these old war horses and it's great to see parts like your's are still out there! If only it was a pre-Feb '63 TMPHC (like I was hoping for before you posted the pics), I would be on my way to Maine this weekend and posting my TMP for sale:cheers:

The date code stamp is still up in the air for me to confirm exactly how to read it but regardless this engine is what it is.

It took me a while, but here is the factory literature to confirm the engine pd info.

Attachments

• MAXWEDGE.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 768
Beautiful mill. I rode ,in a Max Wedge headed 440(70 Challenger). Late 80's,beat everything ,street racing. Took it to Famoso once. Best pass: 11:70@128 ,tire spin the first 200 feet. Been hooked since.

OK, seems to be the best spot for expert advice. Neighbor passed last year and was a stock car racer from the 50s. Much of his collection was outside but the prized stuff was in the house. Most of what he had he kept very quiet about. He told me told that he had a wedge motor that was built for Daytona in 1963 that he got when he work the speed shops in Florida. I just saw it today. It is perhaps never ran and a spare of which I am trying to verify. It is a silver NOS Chrysler high compression block with a red Chrysler metal tag held on with one rivet on the pass side. That too has a number stamped on it. The heads and manifold as well as air cleaners, carbs and the under the car factory large tube exhaust with cross over and cutout plates. Have yet to locater the cast iron exhaust headers but I believe they are somewhere. It has flywheel and clutch.

What is thing? Never heard of a factory race short block with the HC stamp selected in this thread. It definitely was not sold in a car. Once we find all the parts it is for sale. Has a factory compilation of literature with the exhaust pictured in it as well. Any help is appreciated. I will get photos.

OK, seems to be the best spot for expert advice. Neighbor passed last year and was a stock car racer from the 50s. Much of his collection was outside but the prized stuff was in the house. Most of what he had he kept very quiet about. He told me told that he had a wedge motor that was built for Daytona in 1963 that he got when he work the speed shops in Florida. I just saw it today. It is perhaps never ran and a spare of which I am trying to verify. It is a silver NOS Chrysler high compression block with a red Chrysler metal tag held on with one rivet on the pass side. That too has a number stamped on it. The heads and manifold as well as air cleaners, carbs and the under the car factory large tube exhaust with cross over and cutout plates. Have yet to locater the cast iron exhaust headers but I believe they are somewhere. It has flywheel and clutch.

What is thing? Never heard of a factory race short block with the HC stamp selected in this thread. It definitely was not sold in a car. Once we find all the parts it is for sale. Has a factory compilation of literature with the exhaust pictured in it as well. Any help is appreciated. I will get photos.

You may want to start another thread on yours. This thread may not bring as much attention as it is older...

Unless you can see under the carbs I dont see how you could tell them apart, they look identical as far as I could ever tell.
Difference is stgI and II are 1 9/16th primary with 1 11/16th secondary that goes with the 3447S carbs
StgIII is 1 11/16 primary 1 11/16th secondary with the 3705S carbs.

This is stg II with the 3447S carbs.

The Stage II intake has the same 1 11/16ths primaries just like the stage III intake, but with carbs on the lintake it looks just like a stage I intake. The intake in the pictures here is definitely NOT a stage III intake. Go to www.racehemi.maxwedge.com to get the detailed description on max wedge intakes.

It is a Stage 1 intake. Stage 2 has the larger primaries for the 3705 carbs and the stage 3 has a different slope to the plenum. 413 MW are not stage one engines.

This member is completely correct, although you can put 3447 carbs on a stage II intake. I would like to see the engine pad stampings on this engine to determine its real identity.

Block casting date,
102_4788.jpg

Block pad stamp,
102_4795.jpg

Let me define the stamping, the first number is the year the second the day and the third the month. 3=63, 16=16th day,08=8th month august.

Carb stamp,
102_4793.jpg

RubyRedSavoy knows what he is talking about regarding the stage question. 413 max wedge engines were not defined as stage I max wedges. All 1962 max wedge engines were simply 413 Maximum Performance Wedges. The 1963 426 max wedges up to 5/30/1963 (low compression) and 6/13/1963 (high compression) were just 426 maximum performance wedges. You can refer to them as a 426 stage I and be correct but Chrysler did not refer to them as stage I. The stage II engines were first built on 5/31/1963 (low compression) and 6/14/1963 (high Compression.

As for your description of the pad date, One Bad 440 is incorrect. From the beginning of the 413 max wedge engine builds up to December 18 1963, the date code was month-day-year in that order. Beginning December 19 1962 the date code was changed to month-day-number of engine built that day. So, 12-18-62 meant December 18th 1962, and 12-19-03 meant December-19th-03rd engine built that day. I have pictures of engines up to 14th engine built that day.

Chrysler bulletin number 63-1B states...
"In order to provide individual identification of Super Stock 426 (Plymouth) engines, a two (2) digit "sequential number" will be used in place of the year built stamp. Each day the number will begin with 01 and run through the total number of engines built that day. In effect the month, day and sequence number becomes a serial number. This new identification system was incorporated in production beginning with engine number 12-19-01."

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back