1964, 1965 or 1966 Barracuda ? Cant seem to find what I need to on the VIN! .

-

Meagan85

Reaction score
My boyfriend is currently working on a supposed 1965 Barracuda that has a VIN that I am having troubles identifying. We believe it has been pieced together over the years with different parts including the Valiant. I have been through many forums and get mixed information on decoding.

Our VIN appears in the inside drivers door aw AB (in red) then 4561XX (only 6 digits) . From what I see the VIN's were generally longer unless it was in the first 100s of the production? I have attached a picture.

Thank you

65 Cuda.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My boyfriend is currently working on a supposed 1965 Barracuda that has a VIN that I am having troubles identifying. We believe it has been pieced together over the years with different parts including the Valiant. I have been through many forums and get mixed information on decoding.

Our VIN appears in the inside drivers door aw AB (in red) then 4561XX (only 6 digits) . From what I see the VIN's were generally longer unless it was in the first 100s of the production? I have attached a picture.

We are also looking for a lower front valance. It was previously welded on and for proper fitment it needs to be cut off and replaced.

Thank you

View attachment 1716261624
Picture of the VIN tag?

Screws or rivets holding it on?

Why do you refer to it as a supposed 65?

Thanks

Picture of the VIN tag?

Screws or rivets holding it on?

Why do you refer to it as a supposed 65?

Thanks

I think it is a 65, some of the information I found referred to the 6 in the VIN as the year. The front end does look like a 65. I am sure it is. I attached the picture

Thank you :)

VIN Plate.jpg

I think it is a 65, some of the information I found referred to the 6 in the VIN as the year. The front end does look like a 65. I am sure it is. I attached the picture

View attachment 1716261628

Interesting. I've not see a tag like that. My 64 Valiant is plain silver on the body between the driver door hinges. Where is this located?

Waiting to see what others weigh in with

Good luck

Almost appears to be a state issued replacement? Would that be something indicated on the title?

View attachment 1716261628
I see you are from BC. Your VIN tag looks like it is a Canadian built car possibly and I believe the VIN's are different than the American built cars.Hopefully someone can decode it for you. I removed your parts request. Once you figure out what you have, you can start a part wanted thread in the Sale Ads forums. There are sale rules there you will need to follow. Cars and Mopar Parts Wanted

This car has a VIN assigned by a state or province, can't tell which one. The original VIN was evidently removed at some point, or fell off, they were spot welded in place. Post a picture of the fender tag, on the top of the driver's side inner fender, that will give us more clues to what the car is. Do you have a clear title with the reassigned VIN on it?

Interesting. I've not see a tag like that. My 64 Valiant is plain silver on the body between the driver door hinges. Where is this located?

Waiting to see what others weigh in with

Good luck
Its inside the drivers door. Towards the back seat. Whatever that piece is called :)

This car has a VIN assigned by a state or province, can't tell which one. The original VIN was evidently removed at some point, or fell off, they were spot welded in place. Post a picture of the fender tag, on the top of the driver's side inner fender, that will give us more clues to what the car is. Do you have a clear title with the reassigned VIN on it?
I will look for that when I get home. Thank you

I see you are from BC. Your VIN tag looks like it is a Canadian built car possibly and I believe the VIN's are different than the American built cars.Hopefully someone can decode it for you. I removed your parts request. Once you figure out what you have, you can start a part wanted thread in the Sale Ads forums. There are sale rules there you will need to follow. Cars and Mopar Parts Wanted
Thank you

Well, it's not a 66, has to be 64 or 65. It does have 64 Valiant front fenders (at least the one I can see), which would not be correct for a 64 or 65 Barracuda. 64 Valiant front fenders are different than 64 Barracuda front fenders, which are the same as the 65 Barracudas and Valiants. The hairpin on the 64 Valiant front fender is same as 63, and deeper than 64 and 65 Barracudas or 65 Valiants.

Don't know about Canadian vehicles, but the US 64 Barracuda has a different dash than the 65. Also, 64 automatic trans would be pushbutton, 65s were column (Valiant) or floor shift (Barracuda and maybe bucket seat Valiant Signets).

Agree with the above that your vin tag is not a factory issue.

Last edited:
Its inside the drivers door. Towards the back seat. Whatever that piece is called :)

ZERO 1964-1966 Barracudas were built in Canada. All were imported.

Barracudas were not a separate Plymouth model line. They were models in the American Valiant product line and built only in the U.S.

American Valiants and Canadian Valiants differ distinctively in appearance.

Canadian Valiants used Dodge Dart sheet metal and shared the longer Dodge chassis/wheelbase.

The VIN location shown by the OP is incorrect. The VIN # shown is not Chrysler.

-
Back