1964 heater box picture needed

-

KosmicKuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I restored the heater box that came with my 1964 Valiant and finally getting around to installing it. I'm working from the 64 Factory Service Manual to attach the 3 control cables but things just don't seem right. The hand drawn diagram for the cable hook-up in the FSM is a little vague as the door location just doesn't seem to match the actual heater box in the car. It actually looks like a 67 and newer a-body which I'm more familiar with.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but does anyone have a picture of an actual 1964 box they can post? Or can someone definitely confirm that a 64 box is the same as a 67 and newer?

I restored the heater box that came with my 1964 Valiant and finally getting around to installing it. I'm working from the 64 Factory Service Manual to attach the 3 control cables but things just don't seem right. The hand drawn diagram for the cable hook-up in the FSM is a little vague as the door location just doesn't seem to match the actual heater box in the car. It actually looks like a 67 and newer a-body which I'm more familiar with.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but does anyone have a picture of an actual 1964 box they can post? Or can someone definitely confirm that a 64 box is the same as a 67 and newer?
It's not. They had different numbers except 65/66 which were the same

Thank you Ulf!

I see it now. Everything physically fits but the defroster and temperature door operation is reversed. In other words CCW to close should be CW. Heater off should be the default with the dash control pushed in, but it's opposite.
Pictures are the number stamped on the box and the 64 diagram. (The doors in question are marked with an asterisk)

It's obvious from all the paperwork and college parking stickers that came with the car that it was well maintained until the late 70s then it probably was used by a younger family member attending college. The maintenance declined about this time. I'm guessing that the heater stopped functioning and someone swapped in this incorrect one. It was permanently parked about 1981 and had not run until I got it 4-5 yrs ago.

I'll start looking for a correct one.

20210410_124006.jpg

20210410_124306.jpg

-
Back