1965 Barracuda

-

Baby huey

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda automatic, I can come up with a 318 engine and auto transmission out of a 1982 Ram 1500. I know the engine will work, Question is would the trans. fit in it?

I have a 65 Barracuda automatic, I can come up with a 318 engine and auto transmission out of a 1982 Ram 1500. I know the engine will work, Question is would the trans. fit in it?
Not without modifications. (of course) Tunnel, major crossmember/mount, and driveshaft.

The engine won't fit either, unless you swap the oil pan/pump pickup and dipstick to passenger car units.
I'm assuming it's a 2wd transmission?

The engine won't fit either, unless you swap the oil pan/pump pickup and dipstick to passenger car units.
I'm assuming it's a 2wd transmission?
So many questions to answer. Engine and transmission swaps like this aren't for the beginner that's for sure.

Is it the 65 Barracuda you had on here for sale a while back? If so, use the oil pan, motor mounts and exhaust from the 273. The truck will have a 727 in it, which can fit with a big shoe horn! You will need to beat the pinch weld where the firewall and floor pan meet. You will also have to take the rubber bumper thingy out of the top of the torsion bar crossmember if it hasn't rotted and fell out yet. It's tight, but it will work. Get the driveshaft from the truck too, plus the kickdown linkage. You will have to get the driveshaft cut to fit after you measure it. Be prepared to install a new shifter of some sort for the transmission too. The last 65 Barracuda I did all of the above to was around 1983, so I'm sure I forgot a few things. I took a 340/727 out of a 73 Dart Sport and stuck it in the Barracuda. Used the Sport driveshaft and 8 1/4, but had to get the shaft cut. I used the console and shifter from the Sport too, but cobbled it in. It worked fine for a driver. Got me back and forth to work for a few years. I had $200 in the whole thing, and maybe a fourth of that was title and tag....lol. Those were the good old days!

:thumbsup:

Here is a shot of the engine bay
1715041071234.png

Yes it will fit.
As far as swaps go, I did one of these in 1974 at age 21, knowing almost nothing about Mopars. I stuffed a 340 into a 65 Valiant Wagon V100, that previously had a smoking slanty in it.. Smoking as in add oil twice a day. lol

Here's what I know;
yes the engine will bolt in with a car oilpan.
with any 904-based auto trans
with the 273 engine mounts, and the
65 trans x-member, and
With the 273 logs.

Before you start, for whatever trans you intend to use, make sure the convertor pilot fits snugly in your crank, and if it doesn't; take the appropriate action to mate them up..

Last edited:
-
Back