1965 C5 Performance package Barracuda ebay NOT MINE

-
What is the “C5” performance package?
I could not find anything on eBay’s site about this.

What is the “C5” performance package?
I could not find anything on eBay’s site about this.
C5 is the Mopar fender tag code for a "performance package" Barracuda where C2 would be for a formula s car. I have often found that people who even own these cars are not aware they exist. If you look at the photos you will see a 5 under the capital C on the fender tag. This would denote the designation of a performance package car. Commando 273, heavy duty suspension anti sway bar etc...My 4 gear Avatar car is a C5 car and my wife and I also have a C5 automatic car from California. There are some nice winding country roads where we live and these enhanced suspension packages make for a fun cruise especially with the 4 gear car.

The 65 I grew up in was a C5 car 273 Commando 4 speed but NOT a Formula S. The sound of that solid lifter 273 wide open throttle and Dad banging gears hooked me for life

IMG_5400.JPG

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

That's awesome Ron thanks for posting...Those are great pictures. It looks like there are 2 in the second picture. That reminds me of neighborhood driveways when I was a kid.

It looks like you have the performance package order code there as well Mike...325...That's some great info thanks brother.
It is. 322 is the Formula S code which includes the items in the 325 Performance code. The 5 under the C on the fender tag notes Formula S but I am curious where the "5" comes from.

Last edited:
It is. 322 is the Formula S code which includes the items in the 325 Performance code. The 5 under the C on the fender tag notes Formula S but I am curious where the "5" comes from.
I think an S car is a C 2 32"2" the performance pack is C 5 32"5" (I get those backward sometimes myself CRS) This is purely speculation on my part as far as the order codes. It would really make sense if they were using 32 for 273 4 bbl but that didn't happen until 1966...1965 would still be 31 (under the A and B). I bet someone on here actually knows about the order codes but It's not me. I've never seen that before thanks for posting that.

I think an S car is a C 2 32"2" the performance pack is C 5 32"5" (I get those backward sometimes myself CRS) This is purely speculation on my part as far as the order codes. It would really make sense if they were using 32 for 273 4 bbl but that didn't happen until 1966...1965 would still be 31 (under the A and B). I bet someone on here actually knows about the order codes but It's not me. I've never seen that before thanks for posting that.
Makes sense. I knew they used the last digit in the 3 number code on the fender tag. I read your first post too fast and didn't look at the car's description. It is a Commando car and not a formula S. My bad. :BangHead: :lol:

The second car in that picture I've always been told was my uncles "D" dart also a 273 Commando 4 speed car ? Is the stripe going down the drivers side any indication of what it is ? It's the only known picture I have of that car

I am actually standing in the drivers seat of the Barracuda in that picture LOL!!

The second car in that picture I've always been told was my uncles "D" dart also a 273 Commando 4 speed car ? Is the stripe going down the drivers side any indication of what it is ? It's the only known picture I have of that car

I am actually standing in the drivers seat of the Barracuda in that picture LOL!!
D Darts were 66 only and didn't have stripes.

I can't get the damn article to post regarding the Barracuda striping. Basically the early Valiant Barracuda forum states that often the striping was installed by dealerships not the factory. That would partially explain the variations in the stripes dimension wise and per location. You have 2 in the same photo array with what I would consider unorthodox striping. The one offset on the hood and the other that extends thru the center grille. The center grille variation I have never seen before but the offset stripe I have. The article also explains the correct dimensions of the stripe and that it was not just available on the formula S package but all Barracuda models.

-
Back