1965 Carter 2BRL Carb

-

severn

Reaction score
I own a 1965 Dodge dart GT Convertible with the 273 v/8 2 Barrel carburetor with 65,000 miles car sat in a barn.. I am told the carb needs to be replaced...where do I find one and what years will this Inter Change???

Thanks!

When I needed a new carb for my '65 273 I just kept checking ebay, it took a while but finally I found a Holley Economizer which is a replacement carb, car runs great, took very little adjusting. I'm no tech but this is my carb replacement story for what it's worth.

The 2 barrel carb looks about the same thru the late 70's. I think they just added a few vapor lines to suck up emissions and such, or maybe leaner jetting. My 65 273 had a PCV hose. A CA car, but I think all U.S. used PCV then. I got a new carb on ebay for $25 a few years ago. Haven't driven the car, but started it up and ran without a radiator for 20 sec to test. Ran good even cold. I have it now on a 4-barrel intake w/ adapter since I will switch to TBI eventually.

goldfish65 is correct, but I think his is called the Economaster. Holley made those for most applications in the late 70's. They perform well, but I read that some internals can clog over time and can't be rebuilt. You can find new ones on ebay. I got a used 4-barrel one cheap that I will try.

Whoah, slow down. Why do you need a replacement carburetor? With 68k miles, your carb is probably still fundamentally sound and just needs disassembly, cleaning, and rebuild with a good quality kit. It's hard to find a good carb for an application like yours; "remanufactured" ones are junk and new-old-stock units are scarce (though I have a few left on the shelf). Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Be advised that while the Carter BBD "looks" similar for a lot of years, that doesn't necessarily imply easy or direct interchangeability. The '65 air cleaner, for example, will not fit a '66 or later carburetor without a special semi-conical gasket that's not generally available (I finally found one and had 'em reproduced by Gary Goers). And there are calibration and configuration differences that can make it difficult or impossible to tune the car to run correctly if the carb selected is just any ol' "looks more or less similar" unit.

And since we're on the topic, you ought to get and read the three books described in this thread as soon as you can, so that you can sort out the good from the bad info in what you are "told" by people who may or may not know as much as they want you to think they do, and who may or may not have the car's best interest at heart.

-
Back