1966 Barracuda carpet - real world feedback

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, i've owned this 66 Barracuda for 6 years and done 2 to 3 mechanical upgrades and haven't touched the interior. I firmly believe this is the original black carpet. Worn through in some places, the cargo area is almost brown and custy hard.
I am doing a couple things to the car, so now is the best time to replace the carpet. There are several repops out there. I would like to hear feedback from what people bought, happiness with purchase, experience on install?

Thank you for the feedback

I did my complete 66 Barracuda carpet with Auto Custom Carpet (ACC) I bought from Laysons on sale.

I have an auto console and bought everything. Front floor, auto console, rear carpet, entire cargo area, and trunk including back of fold down partition.

Very happy with the fit. Had to trim both sides by the sills, and the front by the firewall slightly. I can't remember having to trim any of the cargo or trunk carpet. Did it about 5 years ago and it still looks great.

Can't remember what I paid but it was not inexpensive even on sale. .

I laid the carpet outside in the sun a few hours to "soften" it up. When triming the sides by the sills I only cut a little at a time. Didn't want to cut too much. To do holes for the seatbelts and dimmer switch I first cut with a blade, then singed with a solder iron. The cargo wheel wells were the most challenging for me. I used 3M spay adhesive (I think) for the areas that needed attached. I only found one after pic and it's not that good.

IMG_20140928_153250.jpg

IMG_20141013_210503.jpg

The mice had made a nest under the cargo "floor panel". The fuel sender wire ran right through it and they must have been hungry!!
IMG_20140929_153457.jpg

I replaced all my carpet in my 66 about 10 years ago, I got it from Trim Parts INC. in Lebanon OHIO and even though I don't put a whole lot of miles on my 66 it still looks great. I had never installed carpet in a car before but it was a breeze and like 66fyssh said is one of the keys, let it sit out in the sun and get nice and hot.
Bob

z234.JPG

z219.JPG

Most all the carpet no matter who sells it comes from ACC in an ACC box. the quality is great!

Got mine from Tamaraz's on sale around 250 very happy with the parts I have put on so far.

Lot of great help. About to pull the trigger on acc carpet kit

I did check around a little on the existing carpet and found this sticker. Pretty cool

003F034A-6BF8-41E9-A0CD-66BC46CEE1CD.jpeg

-
Back