1966 Valiant Convertible Trim video

-

SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here’s my amateur YouTube video. I ramble on about the trim and what a hassle it is.
I doubt anyone will learn much.

Thanks. The more info the better. I sometimes spend hours searching for photos to try to figure out how things should be.

The upper quarter panel spears are aluminum on the '66 Barracuda also. You can use those and the 4 door ones on a convertible by cutting off the excess length on the rear of the molding. The '64-5 Barracuda uses a stainless one, but the width and contour is different and won't engage the taillight housing correctly on a '66 model. The taillight lens melting problem is usually due to people putting the wrong bulb in them. The correct upper bulb is a 1034, not an 1157. Even though they both fit and have the same candlepower, the 1157 is slightly longer and sits closer the lens. The backup light is a 1073. Interesting enough, the lower taillight bulb on the Barracuda isn't listed in the owner's manual, factory service manual, or the factory parts book!, but the stock bulb is also a 1073 according to what I find in my 32K original car. If you put a 1073 in that socket, you will probably melt the lens on long drives with the lights on. Use a shorter bulb, even if it's not as bright. The Valiant just has the upper taillight/turn signal bulb on top, a reflector in the middle, and the BU light below. Using the 1073 bulb in both the Valiant and Barracuda for the BU light isn't a problem unless you leave that light on a long time for some reason. The way to go these days is to go with LED lights for some of those locations. They run a lot cooler. If you use them for turn signals, you'll need a different flasher however, as the LED lights don't draw enough current to activate a stock flasher. You could use some correct outside mirrors for your car too, along with the correct gas cap. If you need the door moldings, I believe I have some nice ones. I also have some of the other moldings too, but, I'd have to check stock and condition, so. let me know by PM specifically which ones you want/need.

Thanks.
You are correct about the ‘66 Barracuda top quarter panel trim being aluminum and the ‘65 being stainless with a different enough shape they don’t fit with the ‘66 tail lights housings.
I have SlantSixDans recommended Les bulbs for the tail lights - I just need to find them.

-
Back