1967 904 Transmission

-

1967DartGT

Reaction score
I have a 1967 273/904 combo right now and am planning on replacing the 273 with a 349 stroker. The 318 block is late 1970s and the crank is an aftermarket 3.58 cast unit with 318/340 mains.

I have read conflicting info regarding whether my transmission/torque converter will work with the later crank. Apparently, the spline size is different on earlier and later cranks and could be problems with fitting to the converter depending on the year. Some of my sources say the change was made between 66 and 67, and other sources say the change was made between 67 and 68.

Can I use my 904 with the new engine or do I need to modify/swap my converter or transmission? I want to stay with a 904 so I don't have to monkey around with linkage and drive shaft and really don't have the cash to buy a later 904 if I don't need to. I'm probably looking at getting a higher stall converter, so will this solve anything or will there still be issues?

The spline count difference would be at trans input shaft, not the crank.
The issues you encounter will be converter balance. ether neutral balance or weighted. Possibley flex plate bolt circle diameter too depemding on what torque converter you use.

The crankshaft register diameter got bigger in 1968. You will need one of two torque converters. The determining factor will be whether your engine is internally balanced or externally balanced. If the engine is internally balanced order a converter for a '72 318/904. If the engine is externally balanced order a converter for a '72 360/904. You will also need the corresponding drive plate for each converter. Your 273 converter and drive plate won't work.

grumpuscreature
Thanks, you answered my question better than I asked it. Thats just what I needed. Doesn't sound as problematic as I thought.

The 68 and newer torque converter will not work with a 67 tranny, been there done that. In 68 they changed to a larger input shaft on the tranny, if you install a 68 and up torque converter your car will not move when you put it in gear.

I recently delt with the same problem, 68 318 and a 66 904 the snout of the torque converter is smaller than the register in the back of the crank. The solution (which i found here in a search) is to have a bushing/spacer machined to properly align the two spacer was 1.55" ID 1.81" OD and a half inch long. the article is in a post here somewhere, sorry i cant remember where.

Back to this question again. I've been talking with the local transmission shop and (surprise) they don't know what I am talking about. They seem to think that I just need a 68+ torque converter but as slim 67 stated, this will not work.

So ... I've got a 68+ engine/crank, a 67 904 transmission, and the adaptor ring thingy. What torque converter do I need? 65-67 or 68+? Options for a high stall converter for 65-67 are limited.

-
Back