-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moparparts

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
274   0   0
Contact seller
Original Part numbered 67 Big Block 727 Automatic Transmission. Restoration correct for an A, B, or C-body or Police Cop car, including: Barracuda, Formula S, Dart GT(S). Part number J2801543. No cracks or apparent damage. Turns freely, but internal condition is unknown. $395. Prefer local pick up in Pa 17086. Could also possibly be shipped oversized 3 UPS or truck freight at buyer expense.

Attachments

• 2-26trans1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 2-26trans2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,278
  • 2-26trans3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • 2-26trans4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 2-26trans5.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 2-26trans6.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,138
  • 2-26trans7.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • 2-26trans8.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 2-26trans9.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 2-26trans10.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,131
build date does not match part number in any way,can you clear this up,mrmopartech
There are two versions of this tranny listed in the GTS book under 2801543.
1967 ABC body 383-4 +police
1968 BC body 383-2 A727
mrmopartech

On 68 and up transmissions the number date position which would be where 3761357 is on this trans and would be part of the 10,000 day calendar date system but this does not apply to 67 and earlier transmissions. The number 3761357 is and was only an internal Chrysler production number and not a date code to my knowledge. As you can see it does have the 67 number on it as referenced in the ad and can be seen in other ways it is a 67. I hope this info helps and if anyone has any further knowledge on the 67 trans dates please let me know
Thanks Don

Since the build date started on 7-29-1961,0001 and ended on 12-13-1988 at 9999,I see a problem,Since I have some 30 automatic and standard transmission in stock,and alot of them pre 67,with propper date codes on them,I still have questions,mrmopartech
1968 dart 383 automatic transmission number PK2892031 used on ABC cars
I have 1 other pre 66 tranny with the proper 17 digit code,2 letters,7 digit serial number,4 digit build date,4 digit sequence number.

Apparently you don't have the gurus book it states 66 & 67 example 10,000 dates do not apply. Yes i have seen many factory problems in the few hundred cars i have owned and documented in the last almost 40 years and if this date number is not as it should be i am not surprised and it has not been altered by me or anyone previously that i can tell if that is what you are trying to suggest! I have seen all kind of factory screw ups even with body vin sequence stampings out of order, and plenty of them on engines and transmissions 1 or 2 numbers off, no numbers and many other mistakes. Just because you have a few transmissions with dates what you believe to be correct does not mean that the factory did not make mistakes on the numbers. You could have hundreds without mistakes and then you could find a few that do it happened!

Did mother mopar make mistakes,YES,am i suggesting you did some thing wrong,NO.I am asking questions and looking in galens books for answers,and in carl H monroe,s torqueflight A-727 handbook for the right answer,weather its a good or a bad one.When I see some thing that I think might be good or bad,I research it and make phone calls to some of the mopar gods I know,and I will.I will find out about the J&F codes found on some trannys,and other numbers to look for.What are the box codes on the case and the 2 digit number above it.Do you know if the tranny has been opened up to know the parts in it?If you can inforum every one what the last 7 digits stand for,please state there meaning,as of this piont,a internal mopar code,makes me ask more questions.And a answer can lead to more questions.Mrmopartech

chrysler interchange manual shows the tranny as number 11.This is what it says,I quote the page.(part number 2801543)
Usage:A727 automatic,1967 Polara,Monaco,newport,and Police car with 383-ci:1968 belvedere,Coronet,charger,fury,Monaco,polara,and newport with 383-ci two barrel.
Your first 7 digits are good,I think some one screwed up the 10,000 day calender and the sequence number as you only have 7 of the 8 digits.
Like it says in galens book,there are two versions of this tranny in his book,and its done with the 542 units and the 541 units.This is where the confusion is,what is right,what is wrong,what is correct.If its a real deal unit,i will be the first to say congrats to you,but it i see 2 versions,I have to say to my self,why and ask questions,as you would,mrmopartech
This may be the problem,if some one did not stamp the number 2 before the 3761357 this could be the problem,as the date code would be then,monday 29 jan,1968.

Maybe you did not read the ad. It states the internal condition is unknown. If i am going to open it up then what sell it in little pieces as it would then be senseless to reassemble it when it needs rebuilt!. This ad is a for sale ad it is not for a discussion by a person looking to create chat in this ad. The number on the trans states what it is and it could have been used on a few different models but as was stated which you refuse to accept it has 67 factory parts on it. I can tell you have no interest in purchasing this trans you are only trying to pick it apart down grade it to others and start an argument or create doubt where one did not exist. I suggest you move on and i will gladly have conversation or answer any questions with any one who is interested in purchasing this trans

................Hi there, not saying ya or nay, but i have that same trans with 2 7 digit #s as shown......also on a couple different trans there is only the 2 sets of 7 #s.......kim.....

Kim
Thanks for mentioning there are others out there the same as this and i know it is correct as stated. When doing a restoration on a 67 this numbered trans is restoration correct on any of the corresponding models it fits as 67 did not have the car vin on it from the factory and the 10,000 date did not apply to this year
Happy holidays
Don

Interesting string........I have the same transmission stampings in a 1969 (early build) convertible big block - A Body.......This car has the correct motor and the correct rear......the car's build date was September 1969......could it be that it might have been fitted with an early left over 1967 transmission? Being that maybe a new casing possibly was not yet available on the assembly line? Maybe using up old inventory???? This transmission has 67 stampings on it as well....I like MOPARPARTS position better than MrMopartechs postiion.....although I appreciate and respect boths passion for this hobby......So add the number 2 to my 7 digit code and this trans is built in early 1968 like the one for sale......I have to believe that the gurus white book gets it right and that the 10,000 day calendar does not apply to the 1967 trans.....

Could this perhaps been a factory odd ball that was used as old stock to complete this early big block convertible being all other numbers on the car appear to match.....I hope so....but am skeptical as of now......

I own a 66 formula S that has the "V" badges on the belt trim and grille which were only put on a few early cars as the new barracuda insignias/badges were not available just yet....so, there are lots of factory nuances that go into this hobby........

Perhaps there is still hope for a full numbers matching A-Body convertible here.....

I can't imagine that so many transmissions were not stamped with a 2 on that last number sequence.....did they have a tech that was missing his #2 punch?????....MrMopartech? Thoughts???

I am willing to open up this transmission.....what am I looking for?? What will distinquish it to be a 4bbl vs a 2bbl trans??? Let me know, could this settle this once and for all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back