1967 Barracuda conv rear seat

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
This car is the gift that keeps on giving...my money away. Way overbudget (but when finished, it will be gorgeous).

Pulled the upholstery off the seat frames, minor repair needed on DS seat frame. BTW, the folks on YOUTUBE that say there are just 20 hog clips connecting the upholstery to the seat frame are hallucinating. I removed 124 from each bucket seat.

Then I got the to the rear seat. Top frame will need some repair, but it might be doable as a last resort. The bottom frame is pretty much roasted. Attached photos show just some of the bad areas
IMG_3360.JPG
IMG_3353.JPG
- blasting it is going to expose a lot more damage. It either need a new set of metal for the bottom and some spring help on the edge metal, or I need to find a good
replacement back seat set.

So here comes the questions:
  • What convertible rear seats fit a 67 Barracuda?
  • Any vender sell parts for the seat frame or springs?
  • Will Notch seats work?
  • If Notch won't fit, has anyone ever cut a Notch rear seat to get parts to patch a convertible seat?
Finally, does anyone have a good set of 2nd gen Barracuda convertible seat frames for sale?
Thanks,
Bob
IMG_3356.JPG
IMG_3353.JPG

A lot (not all) of the parts for the ‘67 A-body convertibles are interchangeable. Per the ‘67 parts manual, I didn’t “see” specific backseat springs for the convertibles just a 2D HT designation, but I’m not sure I was in the right place since the interior parts are split by hard parts in a Valiant/Barracuda/Dart column, then later by model specific interior trim. Lots of detail in the doc, but also some cross referencing that’s not completely clear.

67 dart convert has 2 seperate rear seat parts, a back and a bottom.
20190505_151255.jpg

20190505_151453.jpg

IIRC there is a Plymouth Suppliment to the parts book for Barracuda

'67 Barracuda and Dart rear seat frames are the same and are the same as '68 Dart. Probably the same with the other three cars (68-69 Barracuda and 69 Dart).

I am in a similar (if not worse) situation. The seat frames are unique to the convertibles of our era (67-69), Darts and Fish. I bought my car as a pile of parts, without seats. I have been looking for a few months.... I would suggest if you can maybe clean up what you have. POR15 can do wonders....

So now we have 3 different situations here. My vert rear seat parts aren't rusted nearly as bad as yours. Another member has no bones to start with.
I'm going to share my morning coffee thoughts for your consideration... If I go out and take the rear seat bottom out of my 96 camry I wont find any springs. There is a simple wire frame surrounded with hard foam. These newer car seats aren't built like mattresses but a childs car seat doesn't sink down into them either.
You would be hard pressed to efficiently media blast your spring frame. Media goes right through it. So dip it in rust remover, half at a time if necessary (depending on size and shape of tank, a kiddie pool and vinegar?).
Once clean and dry, coat it with paint or something. I've painted intricate wrought iron a couple times. Sponge or rag with a rubber glove works a lot better than a brush.
Next, go to Staples and pay about 30 bucks for a large roll of cling wrap. Its about 24 inches wide. Wrap your frame very well. Cut a few holes in it as needed so to spray fill it with expanding foam (whichever density you choose, lower density expands farther and allows more spring movement).
You will still need foam or batting to fill out the reproduction seat skin but your foundation is no longer a situation.

Redfish - I like your idea, but we still need enough seat frame to anchor the seat frame to the floorboard.

Have you tried this? Where did you get the foam? All I ever see is the generic monkey snot we use for small insulation jobs.

Redfish - I like your idea, but we still need enough seat frame to anchor the seat frame to the floorboard.

Have you tried this? Where did you get the foam? All I ever see is the generic monkey snot we use for small insulation jobs.
No I haven't tried this. I'm only spit balling ideas.
Aerosol foam like Great Stuff brand is available in a variety of densities. I've seen it used on homemade coolers, bait tanks, etc... Low density should compress enough to pull the skin over it.
When you took your buckets apart, you found a substrate material, like burlap with wires in it. Without that substrate, the foam would slowly go through the springs like cheese through a slicer. That same material could be incorporated in the suggested rear seat plan but I don't think its needed. Foam fill from top to floor has nowhere to go.
I think I could fabricate a couple of metal tabs with screw holes to attach it to the floor pan.

Redfish, you're idea is interesting but I think a seat needs some steel framework to be stable. The seat frame Bobacuda is starting with is pretty far gone. I think if it was me I would do this:
1. Run a parts wanted ad in FABO and Ebay.
2. Reproduce the rusted sections piece by piece using steel sheet metal strips and a MIG welder.
3. Obtain a good frame for a non convertible car and do what is necessary to duplicate your rusty piece. Maybe start with a 67-69 notch back rear seat laid alongside your existing frame. Take careful measurements, slice and dice, section, add metal and weld as needed. I know I could do this if I had the pieces on hand.

Send Oldmanmopar a PM. He has a lot of seats from his latest parts score.

-
Back