1967 Barracuda Formula S rocker trim clips

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
EB7FA43E-B481-4E61-B51B-CE251F32A359.jpeg
99420308-B60A-4DB1-B8FC-D993AC090635.jpeg
i had been looking for these clips without any luck. They were obviously made from unobtanium. So, I decided to try making some.

I bought two 48” pieces of 1/8 steel rod at tractor supply, cut them in 12” sections and started by making the big bend around a 1” pipe. The other bends required a vise, vise grips and pliers and lots of trial and error. Heating the metal caused it to fail and break. Made one from copper - too soft to hold anything, but damn sure easier to work with.

Finally wound up with some that look like they will work. The photo has an original, the copper one, one about 1/8” short and the keepers.

Stainless TIG wire would be excellent to make those

Those clips appear to be found here...
http://restorationspecialties-com.3dcartstores.com/assets/pdfs/page_122.pdf

BUT
That isn't what my car had, (dealer installed, in 1967)
My car used #181
http://restorationspecialties-com.3dcartstores.com/assets/pdfs/page_131.pdf
and #3164 on the ends
http://restorationspecialties-com.3dcartstores.com/assets/pdfs/page_132.pdf

I am working from memory but I know they were not the wire clips.
Typically trim came with the clips when ordered after the fact.

It would be interesting to know more about the history of the trim and your car, if they were original or added. Or others that had these trims.

Alan

Sure can’t justify making them when they are only 1.50
each:lol:

I recently needed some clips and didn't see them in their catalog, contacted them with pictures of an original and usage. They came up with NOS clips that were identical to my originals. These were not in their catalog.

Alan

Looked online and did not find them. I damn sure would have ordered some had I found them.

The driver’s side is a mix of the wire clips and those “alternative” clips. The passenger side was only wire clips. The rocker trim was on the car when I bought it about 20 yrs ago. Car is a Formula S, it came to TX from New Mexico, and that’s all I know.

These are often referred to as Formula-S trim (as are the Bolt-Through wheel covers), neither are true. Both could be had on non Formula-S and were not standard on the Formula-S

The Factory Parts Book list the clips as
6002245 (14) per side
6001728 (2) per side
6026523 (2) per side (nuts)

Alan

I've also been looking for these rocker molding clips and wanted to mention that Layson's seems to carry the ones mentioned in post #3- that is, numbered 181 and 3164 (they use the same part numbers but preceded by "GZ-").

Also, I believe that the number of clips needed mentioned in post #7 is per car, not per side- the parts catalog is a bit confusing about this.

Looks like the 181 is no-more. Here is a page from an older catalog of theirs (2016)
2016.jpg

Alan

Hi Alan,
Yes, I didn’t see #181 at Restoration Specialties, which led me to look elsewhere- I was happy to find them at Layson’s. Thanks for your previous posts with that information.
Steve

-
Back