1967 Barracuda rallye dash instrument panel housing with ac

-

1967Barracuda

Reaction score
I am working on a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda and I would like for the car to have air conditioning. Will the pictured rally dash instrument cluster housing that is circled in red work for my car and air conditioning application?

The difference between the housing that is circled in red and the other housings is that in the circled area this housing has a slot in the middle of the climate control remote mounting area, the other housings are just a plain open rectangle without any middle slot.

I pulled pictures of other 1967 housings and they do not have this middle slot.

I am wondering if this middle slot is suppose to be there to mount the air conditioning remote controls

00303_cpCOfgx8YXY_600x450.jpg

After further investigation I just noticed that the reason for the slot in the middle of the red circle is because that housing has a climate control remote bolted onto it. Sorry but more knowledge would be appreciated.

Another key point is the whole 1967 one year only rally dash idea, I think that refers only to the glove box, correct?

The pot metal housing for 67 is one year only. Climate controllers are attached with 2 bolts. In 67 the left side bolt was poked in at right side of fan switch. That bolt moved to left side, upper left corner of fan switch for 68 and later. So in that pic... the one with red circle is a 68 up housing. All others pictured are 67 only inst' housings. There are other differences if you look at them close enough.

The pot metal housing for 67 is one year only. Climate controllers are attached with 2 bolts. In 67 the left side bolt was poked in at right side of fan switch. That bolt moved to left side, upper left corner of fan switch for 68 and later. So in that pic... the one with red circle is a 68 up housing. All others pictured are 67 only inst' housings. There are other differences if you look at them close enough.
Thanks,

I wish the housing that includes the 120 speedometer with the vacuum performance indicator was correct for a 1967 because those gauges are what my 1967 Barracuda came with originally.

I would not mind upgrading to the 150 Formula S speedometer but I do not know if these gauges are correct for a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda.

My main point is I need the 1967 pot metal housing with gauges that would have been available for a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda.

Worst case scenario I'll buy two of these housings and use the 120 speedometer and performance indicator from the 1968 housing and swap them into a 1967 housing.

So would these gauges be correct for a 1967 Barracuda?

The only one that throws me off is the tachometer as I've seen a 6K center tachometer printed differently on some 1967 barracuda gauges.

00o0o_cJbx0FYGMxL_1200x900.jpg

The tach in above pic is a 68 and up tach. In 67 sweep pattern is different. Also 67 speedo cable clips onto back of 67. In 68 and up they thread on.

I added factory air to my 1969 cuda. It turned out nice. I have a 1967 rally dash bezel and glove box trim left over. It is uncut but needs refinished. May consider selling if you are interested.

The 1967 had a two post radio and a large heater fan switch bezel outline. The 68 and 69 had thumb wheel radio and small heater fan bezel outline. Detroit Muscle has wood grain dash inserts for 67s. I used them on mine as it is a 67 dash bezel.

There isn't as much difference in the gauges. 67 speedo uses a different cable from 68 up but a new different cable is what, 18 bucks? Any speedometer shown there is apt to need restore, especially if it has a trip clock ( and most do ). I won't go into all I know about those. Anyway,,, what you pay initially is the only difference. 120 can be converted to 150 by the restorer.
In general, Tach is correct for manual trans car. Performance indicator is correct for automatic trans. A slant 6 car could have the performance indicator and a formula S with automatic trans could have a tach.

The key switch is also different and unique for every year. If it helps, all of the small fishes are the same, just the tach and speedo cable are different. Also, I have a complete Formula S dash from a 67 Cuda with A/C, which I believe has the climate control buttons, and I have any number of other dashes as well, all from 67-9 Cudas.

Another tach note, an S car does not dictate a tach(or disc brakes for that matter). Or a wide range of other options. There were also 6 cyl tachs, they were a different part# vs the 8 cyl, so watch for that too.

Here are close up images of the confirmed 1968-72 housing, the housing I have circled in red in the first post.

Let me know if the speedometer is a screw in 1968 style.

From my expertise it looks like if this is bolted into my 1967 no one would be able to tell the difference from the gauges.

Do all of the AC and heater climate control remotes look the same from 1967 - 1972?

I'd like to be able to use this instrument panel because it seems as if the gauges are rust free and that being given I would be able to tolerate some sun fade if any after dusting them off.

imagejpeg_0[38].jpg

imagejpeg_0[39].jpg

imagejpeg_0[41].jpg

imagejpeg_0[42].jpg

imagejpeg_0[43].jpg

imagejpeg_1[40].jpg

All 67-69 barracuda gauges, as well as 70+ rally gauges interchange.
I'm not sure if 68/9 ac is same as 67, my 67 ac is push button. My 69 is non ac, so not able.to compare.

Difference in speedo is how the cable attaches ( back view ). 67 uses a collector nut similar to transmission attach method so you should see threads. 68 and later use a plastic clip on this end of the cable, so no threads , just a shoulder for the clip to sit behind.
You'll find that housings and bezels and climate controllers are different. Use whatever gauges you want in 67 housing with 67 bezel in a 67 dash. If my memory serves... there's a one wire difference in the 67 and 68 up a/c controllers also. I think other owners have found a solution for that. Cross that bridge if and when.

67-68 speedo have the same numeral arrangement around the gage face. 67 uses a threaded on cable, 68 up is push on cable. 69 up is different the way the numbers are arranged around the face Formula S is a 150 speedo. All package levels could be ordered with trip odometer from slant 6 to big block. See pic below of gage faces. 67-68 used a conventional tachometer face, 69 up used a sidewinder tach

-
Back