1967 Dart no brake lights when lights are on

-

cuda dad

Reaction score
On my 1967 Dart GT Convertible, the lights all work except the brakes lights do not work when the lights are on. One thing I noticed is the same element lights for brake lights and tail lights. The other element (brighter) lights with the turn signals whether the lights are on or off. Does anyone have an idea about this issue? Thanks FABO!

The typical problem here is that the sockets are not grounded. Sometimes bulbs can be cross shorted between filaments internally and cause interesting problems.

One easy way to test, other than just "wiggle testing" the sockets, is to turn the tail lights on, and jab your test lamp or meter onto the socket and to a good trunk "body" ground point. Voltage there shows the socket is not grounding

You can solder a separate ground pigtail direct to the socket shell if you have a big enough iron (pull out the pigtail and spring first) and bond that to ground. The "easy" way out is to clamp a wire around the socket with a hose clamp

The typical problem here is that the sockets are not grounded. Sometimes bulbs can be cross shorted between filaments internally and cause interesting problems.

One easy way to test, other than just "wiggle testing" the sockets, is to turn the tail lights on, and jab your test lamp or meter onto the socket and to a good trunk "body" ground point. Voltage there shows the socket is not grounding

You can solder a separate ground pigtail direct to the socket shell if you have a big enough iron (pull out the pigtail and spring first) and bond that to ground. The "easy" way out is to clamp a wire around the socket with a hose clamp
The bulbs are pretty well rusted into the sockets so I'll give that a try. Thanks!

I replaced the bulbs and no change.
Upon further investigation, it appears there is an issue with the brake lights. I see there is a jumper wire tied into the stop lamp switch wire (white) near the switch. It goes to the tail lamp wire (black) at the bulb. Without it, the brake lights do not come on. Since it is tied into the tail lamp wire, the brake lights do not shine if the tail lights are already on. With the brakes applied there is power from the stop lamp switch and through the connector, the wire then goes up the column. Is there any further diagnostic I can do or can someone tell what the issue is?

It might be possible the turn signal switch is bad and things are shorting out there. I have a similar issue with my 66 Polara. I had to run a wire from the brake light switch to the harness connection to have brake lights. Sounds like you have a direct path for the quick fix someone gave it.

I know this is old but I thought I would share the outcome anyway. It was a broken wire to the signal cam and someone ran the tail lights to the brake light switch so the tail lights would come on when the pedal was applied. That's why the were no brake lights with the lights on (same). I fixed it by soldering in a wire to reconnect the broken one and disconnecting the previous 'Fix.'

-
Back