1967 Dodge Dart GT 273 worth anything

-

Neal Zimmerman

Reaction score
I found a Mopar at a garage sale today. 67 Dart GT 273 /auto. 2000 bucks . clear title. It needs lots of work but its all there including the 8.75 rear. Body appears pretty good but who knows.
One bad point is the original motor is long gone but he has gobs of 273 stuff, so he will let me have two complete 273s with it along with two NOS sets of .030 over 273 pistons.
I know nothing about Darts so I thought I would ask. Is this car worth anything if I restore it or at least polish it up to a decent driver? Also as long as I have the correct date on the block, can anybody tell the motors not original?
Thanks, Neal

I found a Mopar at a garage sale today. 67 Dart GT 273 /auto. 2000 bucks . clear title. It needs lots of work but its all there including the 8.75 rear. Body appears pretty good but who knows.
One bad point is the original motor is long gone but he has gobs of 273 stuff, so he will let me have two complete 273s with it along with two NOS sets of .030 over 273 pistons.
I know nothing about Darts so I thought I would ask. Is this car worth anything if I restore it or at least polish it up to a decent driver? Also as long as I have the correct date on the block, can anybody tell the motors not original?
Thanks, Neal
I paid $2000 for a Dart way back 26 years ago, and it still needs everything. Consider the car a core, so to speak. As long as the parts are all there, you can redo it all, or have it redone. It's gonna be a money pit no matter what but you can save a ton doing things yourself. I'd buy it for $2000 if it were me and I was looking for one.

Thanks, Neal
There's probably $2000 worth of parts there. There wasn't "numbers matching" drivetrains in 67. You can only go by date codes on the block.

First off do like the car and do want as keeper? Most folks have way more money into their car than they could sell it on the open market. If your looking for a collectible car, this is more than likely not the car for you as darts in general do not have a high collectibility. It has to be one special dart to command big money and have a demand for it.

I’m thinking it’s not rusty since it’s in Oregon. More details would like buckets, console etc. I don’t think you can go wrong unless you don’t have room and can’t afford to do anything with it.

For 2k, sure is worth a deeper look. How is the interior. At least figure a eng/trans overhaul and brake work. If you can put the whole package together into a decent clean driver for 10k or less, i'd go for it.

If it's reasonably solid, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. They're not making any more of them and they're not getting any easier to find in any kind of shape.
Why can't I ever run into these things?

"is it worth it?" is such a broad and wide ranging question. there's a lot of moving parts here, too. but basically it boils down to: to who? and in what capacity?

to part it out? probably, but you'd work pretty hard to make that money.

as a straight fluff and fold flip? yeah most likely. i'd wager that's were you'd make the most money, especially if you can do most of the work yourself and you're starting out with a half decent interior and body. a well sorted out driver that presents pretty good can get darn near a 5 digit sales price.

to keep and restore? if that's what you want, it's a great place to start in the process: a relatively cheap car that sounds like it's pretty decent and solid. but the chances of making any money on the resto are near zero. while that generation of darts is popular and can command good money, that combo isn't exactly desirable.

but 2K for a 67 dart falls into all day, everyday and twice on sunday territory if it's as you described.

Sounds like you plan on flipping it. 2k is damn near a good price for anything anymore. How much more you spend getting it to sell point is another story.

Funny **** right here. If it has an 8-3/4 it is either a 273 4-bbl engine or it has been changed. Worth MUCH MORE than $2K in parts, buy it or tell us where it is at and someone here will...

Thanks for the replies. The car is in Oregon now but spent its life in Nevada, outside Las Vegas. The guys father bought it new and gave it to his son for his high school senior year.
Yes all the interior is there, buckets ,console ,door skins, etc.
Ugly *** factory light yellow color, black interior.
It is an E vin tag. 273 four barrel badges are present too.
8.75 is there with sure grip. There's really nothing missing that I can see. Fender moldings are in good shape, bumpers are straight, and grille is very nice. Trunk finish panel needs work. Although he thinks rocker moldings are MIA. He's looking for them. Comes with lots of spare parts too.
I'm going back early tmrw morning and taking a jack to lift it up to take a peep underneath, and take all the parts out of the trunk and passenger compartment so I can really look it over everywhere, Up under dash and rear window.....
Can't really figure out what I want to do with it exactly. Guess I will know more tomorrow. It would make a nice companion piece to my 68 Barracuda.

If it's reasonably solid and not in your driveway already, you're mentally ill.

....but we all are, so.........

Cant figure out how to empty my box.

Great price for a flipper.
Great price for the restorer.
The flipper makes a $ and the restorer spends a $, but who ends up with a great car to love and drive?????

Give me the answer...Grasshopper!!

-
Back