1967 Formuls S 383 ?? Factory upgrade?

-

Cuda65Steve

Reaction score
So I found a 1967 convertible Formula S but the vin reads 273…..
Current owner claims that he had engine “upgraded” to the 383 by Plymouth…
Has anyone ever heard of the factory offering engine upgrades like this?
Were the big blocks installed on the line originally? I know the hemis were an outside company.
Any input would be appreciated. He’s asking $30k

Too many differences to be a dealer "upgrade"- not just an engine, but a transmission, radiator, torsion bars, K frame, exhaust, and a host of other stuff. The factory did install 383s in '67, but the VIN, fender tag and build sheets reflect the way the factory built that particular car- and you say it decodes as a 273.
I'd steer clear. The seller is either badly misinformed or a scammer.

Last edited:
So I found a 1967 convertible Formula S but the vin reads 273…..
Current owner claims that he had engine “upgraded” to the 383 by Plymouth…
Has anyone ever heard of the factory offering engine upgrades like this?
Were the big blocks installed on the line originally? I know the hemis were an outside company.
Any input would be appreciated. He’s asking $30k
He should have a whole bunch of receipts and documentation for that fairy tale.

Is the 5th digit "E" that's a Commando 273, which is what an S would have(or 383)Also fender tag would have a "7" Under the "F"
383 verts are rare. I've got Galens white book somewhere with #'s.

Last edited:
Auto or manual. Easy way to bust him, as I believe there was only 1 383 auto convertible Barracuda produced in 1967, and I believe it was the triple blue car that a lady inherited from her late husband. She brought it here to sell a number of years ago, and although I really wanted it, the $12k asking price was a little more than I had to spend. Nice lady tho, she also inherited a 383 notch, and another convertible she didn’t even know he had. That was some pretty stout examples, and very good hiding on his part!

Auto or manual. Easy way to bust him, as I believe there was only 1 383 auto convertible Barracuda produced in 1967, and I believe it was the triple blue car that a lady inherited from her late husband. She brought it here to sell a number of years ago, and although I really wanted it, the $12k asking price was a little more than I had to spend. Nice lady tho, she also inherited a 383 notch, and another convertible she didn’t even know he had. That was some pretty stout examples, and very good hiding on his part!
Just curious, are there any pics of that triple blue car?

Just curious, are there any pics of that triple blue car?
I would have to go back through the many pages of my archives to find them, but yes, she posted a ton of pics of the blue car, the notch was faded green, and the other convertible was pictured under the tarps beside the garage where all of his parts were. She also had a report from Galen from the 90’s about the blue car, and an article from Mopar Muscle magazine about the car. Super high optioned car, it even had headrest bucket seats with blue headrests. I’m sure those would be impossible to find today, or even back then. The car was a total restore candidate, but it was complete.

-
Back