1967 Sox and Martin coupe barracuda car pics

-

16richard

Reaction score
Looking to identify the driver(s) of a car I have as possibly aformer sox and martin car. Car I have is similar to the one (1969 coupe )shown at a museum with a ball stud hemi installed in it except mine is a 1967 coupe. I am looking to locate any vintage photos of the Sox and Martin team (or other teams racing a ) 1967 coupe barracuda. I have searched the internet and have only found the 1969 car.

Last edited:
I thought Sox and Martin raced a B body in 67 ??

P1010349.jpg

I believe they built numerous cars, some other drivers raced and some that were never raced.

I always liked the paint scheme used on those cars. Both of the cars pictured look really sharp.

Is this the same Barracuda you tried to pass off as a Petty car? People here asked you for information & it was "library computer & flip phone". Then about half way through the post, you went dark & there were no more comments from you.

Is this the same Barracuda you tried to pass off as a Petty car? People here asked you for information & it was "library computer & flip phone". Then about half way through the post, you went dark & there were no more comments from you.
This and the other thread were NOT FOR SALE threads
I never tried pass any car off as a petty car I was looking into the serial number in relation the system used to identify first 2nd gen barracuda cars produced . What I got was responses more related to dodge serial numbers. It was suggested I contact the Chrysler museum which costs money and apparently is closed . I was interested in gaining information not selling at that time as I am now . There is some information I will not be releasing currently. Library and flip phone is factual and irrelevant. Going dark as you put it means I have other more pressing matters to deal with for instance I have been working and taking care of a family member who died of cancer recently. I am currently looking for vintage photos period not critics.

the fender tag was decoded on that thread.

Caution* Read page 3 or so before replying to this thread

With all due respect all the information in that post should be reviewed before passing judgment .
The original question I posted last year related to body production numbers .
The information that the car was produced in 1966 I obtained from a online Dodge decoder.
It was determined the online decoder was not accurate or I used it incorrectly.
I also did not reveal all the information related to the events that lead to the acquisition of the car involved for privacy and security reasons.
What was determined from the fender tag does not appear to aline with the body production serial number and the delivery date.
I obtained further information from other sources (from library texts etc.) regarding the changes made in the V.I.N system occurring in 1967 Plymouths however this did not clarify the sequencing of these new models for Plymouth Barracudas (ie.coupes)in 1967.
The decoders that were suggested in that posts appear to focus on Dodge production .

The suggestion of communicating with the Chrysler Museum at the time did not come from me.

Again I am just looking for vintage photos or information related to racing teams (not necessarily sox and martin or richard petty) who used or were associated with 1967 coupe barracudas only.

I appreciate constructive information and have no interest in tricking anyone .

I have lots of other fish to fry (no pun intended) therfore I will be focusing on moving forward with other ventures I am involved in (if I stop responding quickly I am not going dark if anything I am trying to get into the light )

Thank you

This is your post from Dec.12, 2019....." (should read ) It may have been built for Richard Petty . When I got it, it came with a roll bar and partial cage , few options ,3 in the tree auto including a deleated spare tire on the fender tag, Richard petty blue with racing stripes and a story that claimed it was acquired by a long haul trucker and it left in a carport for 30 years after he walked out on his wife . I will post photos soon. The serial number question may be the answer to who drove it."

Page 3 shows the picture facts of your fender tag, door vin plate, and body stamped SO number.

The fender tag is decoded there. The scheduled production date is shown, and your vin number is pointed out.

that’s the objective background.

everything else is speculative, subjective, wishful, and fluff.

Page 3 shows the picture facts of your fender tag, door vin plate, and body stamped SO number.

The fender tag is decoded there. The scheduled production date is shown, and your vin number is pointed out.

that’s the objective background.

everything else is speculative, subjective, wishful, and fluff.

Speculation is illegal there??

I guess I am in bad company with other OUTLAWs

A few things I will mention regarding my recollection of the original post.
My recollection was someone had claimed that body production numbers were meaningless sales order numbers.??
That was a specific part of the original question.
It appears some posts can be altered long after the discussion creating more confusion
over matters .
There is a shipping order (s.o.date )and Basic production number includes all cars plymouths produced . The body production series number (Specific number)is stamped on the rad suport and trunk edge (likely to make chopping and welding cars together difficult for safety and security reasons) .
The references I sourced state they started plymouth factory production numbers at 1001. I believe this to be correct for 1967 Plymouth barracudas .
I am only trying to convey accurate information and not create disputes.
These reference books may help someone sort questions they may have in future. They are available in larger librarys however thay may have inaccuracies .
Note the arrows I marked .
I recall watching an episode of Jay Lenos Garage with Richard Petty featured where he stated his family received
gifts of the first ten production cars.
He also stated he wanted to put a wing on a barracuda and Chrysler laughed. I am not commenting on the green custom 1967 barracuda shown just posting it.
In my research on Petty when raced with Ford he used a light blue paint under a dark metallic to create the illusion of chrome on the car from the stands.
The words maybe , possibly , may be are not a claim of facts.

My car was never offered for sale however Buyers(and sellers ) should always beware.
Again I appreciate constructive help.
Thank you.

16104807603781592024498.jpg

20210111_183445.jpg

20210111_183309.jpg

20210111_192130.jpg

20210111_183227.jpg

20210111_183412.jpg

2012-02-25_2011_35_02.jpg

20210111_183636.jpg

20210111_195244.jpg

20210111_184629.jpg

The SO number is specific to each car but you need to include the date as part of the number.
In your case 42402016, there could easily be a 42502016 (the next day)
On the VIN
BH23D72318220
the next car weather a Dart, Valiant or Barracuda (at the same plant) would be

I'm not sure where the question is in this.

Alan

I see what your saying however I believe I have seen numbers on other cars that would indicate 10's of thousands of cars were produced in one day ?
Can you tell me where this is documented.
I may be wrong but my understanding of the definition of the words from the books I read as body production sequence numbers is specific to the number of bodies of that model being produced. That way they could track the amount produced and to have better quality control.
Just trying to get clarity
Thanks

Hamtramck built almost 300,000 cars for the 67 model year, at an average of 25,000 cars a month which works out to about 800 a day.
In 67 there were about 62,000 Barracudas, production started the end of October.
Valiant, about 97,000
Dart, about 123,000
This is just Hamtramck, not including Los Angeles

By the time the Barracuda went into production the VIN was already up to 156,000 (about 56,000 units)
My Barracuda is an early car, November 29 and my VIN is 198666

I would estimate a Barracuda scheduled to be built April 24, 1967 would be about the 53,000th Barracuda built of the 62,000 or so total built.

I wouldn't put much value in the SO number as there isn't much documented about them other than the date is just a "scheduled" production date.

Ask a more specific question and maybe we can provide a more specific answer.

Alan

-
Back