1968 Dart GTS Grill Nose Peice on Ebay

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now - why are you selling this - the real ones don't fall out of the tree that often?
Daryl

I sold the car. I had to take a few peices off the car to drop its value to sell it at a price that would actually sell the car. In this economy as you know cars just arent selling. I knew that I could sell this part easily to recoupe some of the money I lost on the sale of the car. The new buyer knew that I had done this to drop the price of the car.

Mark

Those don`t grow on trees that`s for sure. From what I`ve read those center pieces only appeared on the early Darts built before Dec.67. Supposedly they disappeared about the same time there was a strike at the plant and never reappeared when the work force returned. Good luck with your auction.

I lost well over 2k on the car, it was my mistake as I paid too much for the car. This part will help me recoupe some of it anyways. I had to sell the car, I just plain had too many musclecars and couldnt care for them all properly. The nose is virtually perfect, hopefully it will go on a nice car out there.

Thanks
Mark

Did the nose piece come on a LA plant car? Do you have to drill holes in the grill to attach? I have a September 67 GTS with no nose piece. Trying to make some sense of what cars may of had them factory installed.

There is a stud on the base of the nose piece that requires you to drill a hole in the grill. Not all GTS's of the era came with those nose pieces. The BIN on that nose piece is very reasonable. If I had needed one, I'd be happy to pay the price. There are some plastic re-pops available, but they're pretty shoddy from what I've seen. There is an actual GTS grill on sale on eBay right now that shows the placement of the hole.
Daryl

Thanks for the info. The good news is my grill is not drilled. If it was I wouldn't be able to sleep till I hit the buy it now.

Think they made the GTS cars at LA and Hamtrack plants. It would be interesting to know if the nose pieces came on cars from both plants or just one or the other

The car did not have the fender tag on it, so im not positive it was a LA car. The car was orininally central CA, and I believe has been all its life, but that dosent mean much without proof of a fender tag. I dont know where everyone gets the idea that that hole in the bottom of the grill is for the nose peice. It dosent bolt in at the bottom. There are two studs that go thru the front of the grill. If you look at the pictures of the nose peice I have on Ebay you can see there are just 2 studs at the back, there is not one on the bottom, and never was one. In honesty I have no idea why that hole is there on the grill. Maybe its possible it was a mistake by Dodge that the hole was drilled and they put the nose peice on to cover it up ? Or maybe they thought thats how they would bolt it on ?

Mark

The car did not have the fender tag on it, so im not positive it was a LA car. The car was orininally central CA, and I believe has been all its life, but that dosent mean much without proof of a fender tag. I dont know where everyone gets the idea that that hole in the bottom of the grill is for the nose peice. It dosent bolt in at the bottom. There are two studs that go thru the front of the grill. If you look at the pictures of the nose peice I have on Ebay you can see there are just 2 studs at the back, there is not one on the bottom, and never was one. In honesty I have no idea why that hole is there on the grill. Maybe its possible it was a mistake by Dodge that the hole was drilled and they put the nose peice on to cover it up ? Or maybe they thought thats how they would bolt it on ?

Mark

That`s interesting. The centerpiece on my Dart built Aug `67 did have a stud on the end that fit in a hole bored in the grille. Sometime in the late 70`s I had a little fender bender with the GTS I had at the time. When I went to the dealer to buy one of those centerpieces it did not have the stud on the bottom, only the two in the back. Even at that time I had to order the part and wait on it to come from another state. Yup those are quite rare, the BIN price is very fair as they are just not out there.

Actually the plastic repops are a good repop ......i had one on my car and people thought it was real ....

I pulled mine out and double checked and it definitely has a stud on the bottom - yours is still nicer though...........
Daryl

From what I understand, although I have no way to confirm, the nose peice was only on 68 GTS's with the longitudinal stripe rather than the rump striped cars. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back