1968 dart wiring harness help

-

jonnyrose

Reaction score
Bought my car in piece's so it's time to install the wiring harness,its ok shape but I'm having trouble with a few wires,there's a single red wire wrapped together with the signal flasher can.also a two prong female connector that shares a white wire with the radio plug,and then there's the factory joint were there a sing black 12gauge wire not sure were it goes any help would be awsome

20200202_211145.jpg
20200202_210953.jpg
20200202_211256.jpg

Last edited:
You need to re upload your photos.

Mymopar.com has electrical diagrams free download

Black 12 gauge lug might be cigerette lighter. Maybe not. Wiring diag look to be red in 69

On second thought. The black lug might be one of the amp meter leads

Last edited:
It's also in the FSM downloadable from same source.

There are some colored laminated ones you can buy, forget where but someone posted the source recently

Black with lug is amp meter

Single Red cigerette lighter (follow to the fuse box for 100% proof

White and violet off the radio is backup light switch if automatic

Last edited:
Thanks alot,got the download,wish I had a parts car that was complete

I took this picture from another post,what is it,mine is missing its beside the battery tray
100_2357.JPG

That's starter relay.
Yep and shown is for manual trans. Starter relay for automatic will have another terminal with brown wire going down to neutral safety switch.
Reverse lamp switch for automatic trans moved to neutral safety/dual function switch in mid 1968 model run so we can know for sure where yours is. Inside cabin was low on the steering column or extension harness plugged in there to route to the console mounted shifter.

Thanks alot,got the download,wish I had a parts car that was complete
Diagrams in the shop manual are much better than the stand alone downloads ripped off from Chiltons or Mitchells.

Lay your harnesses out and tag the ends as you figure out which ones connect.

Also helpful will be if you make your own connector diagrams. The later shop manuals do that, but the early ones don't usually, except for the bulkhead connectors.

upload_2020-2-3_9-6-42.png

In the yellow circle looks to be the main splice.
If its in good condition, support the wires so there is no strain or untwisting and rewrap it.
The main splice joins the alternator and the battery feeds, and the feeds the other systems.
When the battery is hooked up, those wires are always connected to power. Do not let any of the conductors ground.
upload_2020-2-3_9-14-39.png

Schematicly functions like this.
upload_2020-2-3_9-24-3.png

NOTE!!!! BEFORE you connect the BATTERY for the first time, consider that a short or error might cause 'smokage' Get everything shut off, headlights, key switch, glove box, trunk light. Make sure the headlight switch is "twisted" just a bit towards the right from full left. This will insure dome lights are shut down. Be sure door switches are "shut doors"

If you do not have the cluster installed, you will want to temporarily bolt the black and red ammeter wires together AND SAFELY tape them off. DO NOT allow them to touch ground. The black wire is HOT, it is NOT ground.

Now take something like an old headlight or a stop / tail lamp and wire it in series with the battery connection to ground. If the lamp lights brightly, you have something "heavy" powered on, or a short. Run that down and get it cleared.

if the light comes on "somewhat dim" you have some load but not a short. Try to find that. Light should be absolutely "out." Then, you can connect your battery "direct."

AS MATTOX mentioned. The wiring to the ammeter and underhood splice: That feeds the ignition switch, the "hot" buss in the fuse box, and the light switch. NONE OF THAT IS fused!!!

Thanks for all that info,according to the wire diagram the red wire from the amp gauge goes to a acc circuit breaker,what is that and where is it

That is for some added accessory and may or may not be present in your vehicle.

Yep and shown is for manual trans. Starter relay for automatic will have another terminal with brown wire going down to neutral safety switch.
Reverse lamp switch for automatic trans moved to neutral safety/dual function switch in mid 1968 model run so we can know for sure where yours is. Inside cabin was low on the steering column or extension harness plugged in there to route to the console mounted shifter.
So my column is from a 1969,and the tranny 727 is from an 85 d150, so I guess I'm gonna have to rewire the back up switch

So my column is from a 1969,and the tranny 727 is from an 85 d150, so I guess I'm gonna have to rewire the back up switch
Easy enough to do. That late model trans should have the dual function switch. You should have a brown wire that goes from starter relay to that switch. You've identified the 2 wires for reverse lamps. Route them through the firewall and tape in with the brown wire. You'll need the 3 wire harness connector that goes on that 3 post switch. I don't know if that's available in the aftermarket. Parts Wanted should get you one.

Thanks for all that info,according to the wire diagram the red wire from the amp gauge goes to a acc circuit breaker,what is that and where is it
What diagram are you looking at?
In the Plymouth version, it is labelled A1. If you follow that line, it goes direct to the bulkhead connector, cavity J.
A is battery circuit. The number or number and letter after the A is the wire or segment between two terminals or junctions.
R is Alternator output and related.

Why not leave the backup light switch OEM and just not use the backup light switch on the trans?

The nuetral safety at the newer trans might have other connector or wires.

-
Back