1968 dodge dealer slot cars

-

Darnells Garage

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Found these in a garage that was to be demolished.
68 dodge dealer slot cars.

I remember as a little kid , my dad was car shopping . 1968 . the dealers had all kinds of cool stuff they would give away, Model car kits, GOOD GUYS White Cowboy Hats ect. Nice find.

what scale?

I'm looking for the 66 Coronet.

I've only ever seen a picture of one to know they exist.

I had only the pickup, buddy has the whole set minus the pickup. So the trade was made, I now have a 48 Hawthorn bicycle

I bought a Dodge slot car set for my little brother, I think it was 68. It was a well made set with 2 Chargers.

I saw the literature for the 66 slot car on ebay about 15 years ago.

That's the only reference I've ever seen.

What is this wonderful place? Shut Down! I wanted it so bad when I was about 11 years old. Christmas was coming and I told everyone that was what I wanted. It cost $20 by mail order. There was a special order form (don't remember where I got it, maybe Hot Rod magazine) My Aunt gave me a $20 bill for Christmas specifically for me to buy Shutdown. But it was not to be. My Mother saw this $20 gift as an opportunity, a teaching moment, for me to learn about saving money towards something more important than a toy, something like a college education.
My Mom was periodically inspired to inflict something on us kids that was designed to be good for us. Sometimes it was some unusual food for dinner. A whole beef tongue carved at the table, sauteed lamb kidneys, weird fish dishes, all designed to broaden our tastes. None of that was going to appeal to young children no matter how many times we were told it was good for us or forced to stay at the table until we cleaned our plates.

This time it her idea was to take my $20, put it in a jar on a top shelf in the kitchen out of my reach and tell me I couldn't use it how I wanted. This was going to be character building. I was going to learn to deny myself the "instant gratification" of indulging myself buying, what she believed to be, some cheap crap toy car thing. The act of denial would teach me the value of delayed gratification and would help me to mature and grow into young adulthood, well adjusted and self confident with an inner strength to resist the common temptations of smoking, drinking, and juvenile delinquency. I might be unhappy now, but I would understand later and appreciate what I learned.
It was total bullshit. I learned nothing of the kind. What I did learn was that my Mother was capricious and her parenting efforts were uneven and it was best to be careful how much you told her about anything you were doing. I was pissed off but I was still a youngster who was not yet openly defying his parents. Shutdown was a limited time offer with the date on the order form. I watched the calendar with one eye and the $20 bill in the jar with the other until the offer expired and then I forgot about it. That $20 sat up there for 3 months until I climbed up and used it to buy something. Probably baseball cards. I returned the change to the jar and used it as a piggy-bank until I finally spent it all a few months later.. My Mom forgot about it too. There was no follow-up, no review of anything learned. She never mentioned it again and didn't seem to notice the the wad of $1 bills and coins filling the peanut butter jar. The order form stayed in the jar too.
None of my friends had Shutdown! I never saw it or found any mention of it anywhere. None of the car people I became friends with had ever heard of it. I began to think it was my imagination. Oh well, I was over it.
Until now. Because there it is and, wow, that box looks fantastic but this is a tease, I want to see what's in the box! Apparently I am not over it. Thanks a lot Mom.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea I want you to know that my Mother was an extraordinary woman and a wonderful Mom. She had an usual combination of skill and ability that made her very successful. She accomplished much yet made it all look effortless. She was smart, courageous and very tough when she needed to be. She wasn't perfect. She was serious but knew not to take herself too seriously. My brothers and I were very fortunate to have her as our Mom. She died last year aged 94 having lived a pretty good life. Through her conscientious effort and hard work she left the world in a little bit better condition than when she arrived. There is no way to adequately thank her for everything she did for me.

-
Back